Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times

Advertisements

Although I don't have access to the complete list of top party schools in the US, it's a relief to know that ECU in NOT among the top 20. Here's the top 20 party schools as reported by The Capital newspaper.

1. West Virginia University, Morgantown
2. University of Iowa, Iowa City
3. Ohio University, Athens
4. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
5. University of Georgia, Athens
6. University of Florida, Gainesville
7. University of California-Santa Barbara
8. Florida State University, Tallahassee
9. Miami University of Ohio, Oxford
10. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
11. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
12. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
13. University of Wisconsin-Madison
14. University of Mississippi
15. University of Texas-Austin
16. University of Maryland, College Park
17. University of South Carolina, Columbia
18. James Madison University, Harrisonburg Va.
19. University of Maine, Orono
20. University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Credit goes to The Capital Newspaper: Naval Academy among stone-cold sober schools - CapitalGazette.com: Naval Academy | Military
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Well, I thought this thread would be about being one of the Best in the Southeast, but I guess not being on a "party school list" is equally as good, for some people.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Why bother? I posted another list recently and everybody denied that ECU could be ranked where it was.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 PM

232 posts, read 475,423 times
I'm not sure how much weight I would hold in these rankings. One source had warren wilson ranked #1 party school in the state last year. LOL

Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 AM

35 posts, read 74,842 times
The take away here is that ECU is not on the list of well known schools perceived as party institutions. Despite what others in the state continually do to put down ECU, it is no more a party school than any other large public university across the US.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,855 times
I think the whole "ECU - party school" reputation is more of a subconscious statement about Greenville's overall lack of activities outside of college life. Students here are typical of what college-aged people do, but the "party scene" gets overt attention because there's not much else going on. Besides that, the loudest things get the most attention.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
ecu gets hated on because there are quite a few better (and public/cheap) options nearby. you're not going to go there unless you can't get into the better schools. it isn't that bad overall and does have a few strong programs. i agree with the other poster about the town being responsible for the party rep. there really isn't much else to do. however i have been to many more fun parties in chapel hill than i have in greenville- lol. that may just be a reflection of my own social network in each place, though.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
ecu gets hated on because there are quite a few better (and public/cheap) options nearby. you're not going to go there unless you can't get into the better schools. it isn't that bad overall and does have a few strong programs. i agree with the other poster about the town being responsible for the party rep. there really isn't much else to do. however i have been to many more fun parties in chapel hill than i have in greenville- lol. that may just be a reflection of my own social network in each place, though.
Bullll. There are some really great programs here. Just like NCSU or CH. If I want engineering, I would go to State. Anything medical related, ECU and CH are close. etc etc

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM

150 posts, read 352,129 times
I'm not sure if I'd call ECU and UNC-Chapel Hill close in terms of programs. UNC's programs are nationally known and ranked. ECU's is fine, but really great is a stretch!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
ECU is pretty good teacher school, and have some great art programs.

If you want to stay in NC, ECU will meet all your needs. Only if you are going to be competing with other national name brands, are you gonna be a little behind.

I rag on ECU and G-Vegas all the time, but that is just kiddin. Both are fine and get the job done, IMHO.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina