Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times

Advertisements

My question concerns a marina hoa. Specifically a requirement added on this past year.
Basically it concerns insurance coverage and the power of the hoa deciding what actions it could take.
My boat insurance meets all the requirements of the mandated minimums for liability. My policy has a "layup" clause which states that a layup period for two of the twelve months namely Feb and March is a lay up period.
These months are usually time when boating for us is not comfortable and we are not out cruising.
Bear in mind that after consulting with my insurance company at no time does my liability coverage lapse during this layup, the boat can remain afloat and not be required(by the insurance company) pulled and placed on the hard. The only thing that would be in jeopardy would be that if I do damage to my own vessel there would be no coverage. All other coverage remains in effect.

The marina association has now placed into the bylaws that if your policy has a layup period your boat must be removed from the marina, (I own my boat slip).

I fail to see what legal basis, or grounds, gives the association the right to make such a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup200 View Post
The marina association has now placed into the bylaws that if your policy has a layup period your boat must be removed from the marina, (I own my boat slip).

I fail to see what legal basis, or grounds, gives the association the right to make such a requirement.
I can only suggest reading through the by-laws for the procedure to change the by-laws. The HOA may have written in that they have the unlimited right to change the by-laws any way they want to. If so, the HOA can make such an demand on you, but I agree that it sounds unreasonable to ask you to remove the boat.

BTW, is your slip owned as part of a condominium? Or is it owned like a piece of land? This might make a legal difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina