Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,172 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving from Upstate NY in the next few weeks to take a job in the New Bern area. I have done a lot of research and it seems like NB is a retirement community. My question is there enough for a mid 20s young professional to keep busy, meet people, etc? Or should I look in the surrounding towns? Also,
Buying a home does not appeal to me right now so I will be renting.

Please help as I will be moving down there soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat5106 View Post
My question is there enough for a mid 20s young professional to keep busy, meet people, etc?
There are certainly other young people in NB. I can't say whether it's enough for you. You might look into Meet-up groups. Also check this on night-life: http://newbern.insiderinfo.us/nightlife/

If you were looking at surrounding areas, Newport and Morehead City would be more your style. The commute would be 20-25 miles. Closer to New Bern, Havelock has military families, and I'm not sure if that's what you would want either.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
There are some here that think NB is the kiss of death.

What is different in the south is that people are more intimate, there is not a bar on every corner, people often entertain in their homes amongst close friends.

I am ass/u/ming you are a guy. From my personal experience, there are right many hot nurses at the hospital..once when I was there I thought I had passed and was in heaven...until she pulled the catheter out.

Harris Teeter in the afternoon after work will dispel any myths about the scenery that is in New Bern. Don't know where they party or hang out, but....

If you are a female, there are thousands of young marines, in all flavors shapes and sizes that are available for companionship.

My kids hate it, (22 and 20) but we moved here and they were determined to be haters.

I don't think it is easy to mix in as in bigger towns, with a scene, but I would not let the "retirement community" vibe throw you off.

Warning: You will probably soon see a post from a person that absolutely hates new bern. You have to weigh the pros and cons and be aware of bias in some folks.

The problem with Newport and MHC is that you have to navigate the hell of Havelock traffic lights every day. Twice.

Good Luck.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,172 times
Great thanks guys. I will be apartment hunting in the next few weeks around there.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,011 times
Hey, I just wanted to see what people had to say about this situation.

My husband and I are sailors, we have a 36' boat and paln to use it regularly. We are moving there in 6months with my 16 year old brother and our two large dogs. We are an active family with a passion for historic places. We prefer older homes and being from NYC are accustomed to diversity. Frankly; we dont have to move. We have a beautiful farm in Montana, the driving force is warmer weather.

Please, I want to love it as much as I did before reading up and down this forum. IS IT AS BAD AS EVERYONE SEEMS TO REPORT?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborkid View Post
Please, I want to love it as much as I did before reading up and down this forum. IS IT AS BAD AS EVERYONE SEEMS TO REPORT?
Why did you decide to move to New Bern, if you aren't sure you would like it?
There are plenty of other places in the county where you can sail a 36-foot boat.

New Bern isn't bad; it just has limitations. It's a small town of about 29,000, with limited shopping and entertainment. It isn't especially diverse, in terms of people or food. The 16 year old may be bored quickly. While I find the historic areas interesting, it is far smaller than Savannah or Charleston. Perhaps you should re-think your decision.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-18-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat5106 View Post
Hello,

I will be moving from Upstate NY in the next few weeks to take a job in the New Bern area. I have done a lot of research and it seems like NB is a retirement community. My question is there enough for a mid 20s young professional to keep busy, meet people, etc? Or should I look in the surrounding towns? Also,
Buying a home does not appeal to me right now so I will be renting.

Please help as I will be moving down there soon!
I just turned 32 years old and have lived in New Bern since I was 27 years old (five years now). This region is DYING. Living here is torture and I would not suggest moving here unless you are offered a job that pays an excellent salary. Excellent by New Bern standards means 125k+. The only reason we are still here is because hubby owns a successful business here.

If you are into outdoor sports, you may enjoy it here. It just depends on what your expectations are.

If you are seeking nice amenities including modern movie theater, good shopping, good restaurants, and nice gym/health facilities, I would suggest living elsewhere. If you must live in eastern NC I would suggest Wilmington (Landfall, Porter's, etc.). I would avoid all parts of eastern NC which run along highway 70 East.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I just turned 32 years old and have lived in New Bern since I was 27 years old (five years now). This region is DYING. Living here is torture and I would not suggest moving here unless you are offered a job that pays an excellent salary. Excellent by New Bern standards means 125k+. The only reason we are still here is because hubby owns a successful business here.

If you are into outdoor sports, you may enjoy it here. It just depends on what your expectations are.

If you are seeking nice amenities including modern movie theater, good shopping, good restaurants, and nice gym/health facilities, I would suggest living elsewhere. If you must live in eastern NC I would suggest Wilmington (Landfall, Porter's, etc.). I would avoid all parts of eastern NC which run along highway 70 East.

Didn't take long for LLN's prediction to come true.

I have been here for the better part of 16 years now, 8 were in Havenot. You don't need 125K to enjoy living here. If you like the water ie fishing and water sports then you will love it. if you like bars then you will probably hate it. the beach is about 30 to 40 minutes away. Lots of shopping is in jacksonville which is also 30 minutes away. New bern is small but it is far from dying. If you come from a big city you would probably hate it but if you are used to small town charm then give it a chance.
The only thing I do not like about it is the total lack of bike trails, paved and dirt.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The only thing I do not like about it is the total lack of bike trails, paved and dirt.
I think you should check in with Atomic Cycles, right across from the new museum. I seem to recall some dirt bike photos on their facebook page some time in the past.

Good Luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

Have you taken on the Neusiok since you've been here or any of the other trails in the Croatan, like Island Creek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina