Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,639,051 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in Raleigh from 12/26 until 1/1. We were thinking about a trip to the coast. Is the Wilmington area still active around the holidays? Is it worth staying a night, or will the town be closed up for the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM

13,386 posts, read 27,188,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
My wife and I will be in Raleigh from 12/26 until 1/1. We were thinking about a trip to the coast. Is the Wilmington area still active around the holidays? Is it worth staying a night, or will the town be closed up for the winter?
Wilmington is a working city of 100,000 people, so it will not be closed. You might look at touring the waterfront, the battleship North Carolina and/or Fort Fisher.

The beaches will be to cold to do much but walk. However, I believe that at least a few restaurants at Wrightsville and Carolina Beach would be open.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,810,111 times
Quote:

winters in this area aren't too bad. you do occasionally get some cold fronts, and things do seem to nearly shut down then... but the next week a warm front will come through and everyone will be back. So it's really depending on what the weather is like that day.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,524,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Wilmington is a working city of 100,000 people, so it will not be closed. You might look at touring the waterfront, the battleship North Carolina and/or Fort Fisher.

The beaches will be to cold to do much but walk. However, I believe that at least a few restaurants at Wrightsville and Carolina Beach would be open.
Can you surf fish Wrightsville in the winter?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 AM

196 posts, read 577,766 times
I can't speak to Wrightsville, but on Topsail Beach you can drive on the beach at Serenity Point to fish. You need to buy a pass to do so. Topsail Beach North Carolina > Visitors > Beach Driving permits

Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 AM

8 posts, read 15,871 times
Quote:
Well worth a visit. Wilmington is 140 miles down the interstate from Raleigh, so staying overnight depends on your tolerance for driving to and from in one day. (It'll be dark around 5pm, too.)

Wilmington is not really on the coast. The beaches -- Carolina Beach, Kure Beach -- are 15-20 miles south. They are entirely built over with condos, timeshares, hotels, etc., so your view of the Atlantic as you drive is almost nonexistent.

Wilmington's downtown and the old ante bellum area are clustered in an area of several blocks along the east side of the Cape Fear River. A boardwalk along the downtown riverfront is pleasant, with restaurants and shops. Much, but not all, of the remainder of Wilmington is new growth suburban sprawl.

If your focus is on "The Beach", you have the entire coastline of North Carolina at your disposal.

Wilmington weather in late December is probably going to be mild with temps likely in the 50's. But, it's winter, and, hence, volatile. You won't see snow, but cold, gray, and wet is easily possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina