Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Why does free speech only apply to one side of the political spectrum.

PDA is pretty disgusting no matter who participates (unless it is me).
The owner had his freedom of speech but just like anyone they must also endure repercussions of what is said.

Apparently after this story hit national news of this restaurant; I look on Yelp and 8 pages of not so nice comments as result of this letter.
IMO I think Yelp should remove the comments from those who have never been patrons as I think effects credibility of Yelp.

I was able on 7th page to find actual reviews and they was mixed. 2 complained about there use of plastic forks and cups.

The owner took a bad approach by giving that letter with hopes of in getting returning customers and the image of his restaurant.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The owner had his freedom of speech but just like anyone they must also endure repercussions of what is said.

Apparently after this story hit national news of this restaurant; I look on Yelp and 8 pages of not so nice comments as result of this letter.
IMO I think Yelp should remove the comments from those who have never been patrons as I think effects credibility of Yelp.

I was able on 7th page to find actual reviews and they was mixed. 2 complained about there use of plastic forks and cups.

The owner took a bad approach by giving that letter with hopes of in getting returning customers and the image of his restaurant.
Sunny, how many places do you eat where someone cares about your soul and where you spend eternity? You should all be thanking him. The only thing that would make him do that is love for his fellow man. I am so sorry you took it the wrong way.

Last edited by NCN; 01-12-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Sunny, we have been through this before.

I absolute support gay and lesbian rights, total equality in union (though not in marriage -- religious vs govt).

This is what gets me. I am absolutely certain, 100% if someone gave me a note, I would wad it up and throw it away, probably say FU. I would NEVER EVER conceive of going to the press. NEVER. The G-L crowd, on the other hand, takes EVERYTHING to the press, Expresses righteous indignation on EVERY ISSUE, and takes exceptional affront to anyone not agreeing 100% with their views. It is the absolute lack of tolerance from those squawking lack of tolerance that drives me crazy.

Of course what I think or feel does not matter, but taken across the population it is a very self defeating approach. Folks get tired of it.

FYI, I have eaten at the Sting Ray many many times. I believe there is a low of negative talk, but I know business is booming.

Reminds me of my Pentagon day, "Money talks--BS Walks." I am pretty sure I have some very positive reviews on Trip Advisor if you would like to check that rating site out.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Repercussions? For what? Most people that go out to eat do it for the food. The only time most of us think about politics is when we go vote. If anything, this place would more likely gain customers. I wouldn't probably go there because it isn't my kind of place, but that he gave a customer a note is between that person and himself. Not my business.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Homophobia is alive and well in NC and on this board apparently.

Very disturbing.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,758 times
As the couple noted in the article, the owner has a right to his own opinion, and the owner crossed the line handing them the letter.

The Constitution grants us freedom of speech, but I'm sure it was not intended to give everyone the right to hurt others, and apparently those who want to voice their opinion can do it now a days regardless of hurting others.

It's a shame, but that's the law.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,822 times
Quote:
It is the absolute lack of tolerance from those squawking lack of tolerance that drives me crazy.
Well you'll certainly let us know when a nice hetero couple, giant crucifixes around their necks and King James bibles in hand get a disapproving letter from a restaurant owner or worse, then. Otherwise, this seems like a one-way street.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Well you'll certainly let us know when a nice hetero couple, giant crucifixes around their necks and King James bibles in hand get a disapproving letter from a restaurant owner or worse, then. Otherwise, this seems like a one-way street.
I can explain it again, but I can't make you understand. mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: OT

Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 AM
LLN

"prej·u·di·cial (prj-dshl)
adj.
1. Detrimental; injurious.
2. Causing or tending to preconceived judgment or convictions"

seems to fit the bill.

mod cut

Got to go to the gunshow. Stocking up on 50 round magazines and armor piercing bullets, just in case. Be back this afternoon.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: OT

Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Sunny, how many places do you eat where someone cares about your soul and where you spend eternity? You should all be thanking him. The only thing that would make him do that is love for his fellow man. I am so sorry you took it the wrong way.
mod cut At the very least if the owner cared that deeply about those people's souls they'd have the courage to confront the couple directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
As the couple noted in the article, the owner has a right to his own opinion, and the owner crossed the line handing them the letter.

The Constitution grants us freedom of speech, but I'm sure it was not intended to give everyone the right to hurt others, and apparently those who want to voice their opinion can do it now a days regardless of hurting others.

It's a shame, but that's the law.
The owner has the right to say whatever, and everyone else has the right to mock, ridicule, agree with, support, or boycott the owner. One would think a business owner would have more sense than to stick their nose in other people's business where it doesn't belong.

Quote:
If you are gonna argue with a fool on the internet (me) you need to be right!
The difference is I didn't half in jest assume the owner was miffed over not being able to serve black people so they had to lash out at a marginally socially acceptable target until after they lashed out at a marginally socially acceptable target, most likely because they were miffed over not being able to serve black people.

That's not prejudging someone; that's judging someone, even if half in jest. It's the difference between looking at a guy and saying apropos of nothing "he's a criminal" and looking at a guy who just got caught robbing a house and saying "he's a criminal".

At any rate, when you're forced to use half of a dictionary definition of a term to argue a point, you've given up all hope of or interest in arguing in good faith.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-12-2013 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: tos violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina