Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 23,680 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to leland I'm reading alot of post's about 11-12 inches of rain in a day. Is this the norm on the coastal region of NC. Should I think twice before considering a home with a pond in backyard.
How's the humidity by the coastal region. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,153,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
Thinking of relocating to leland I'm reading alot of post's about 11-12 inches of rain in a day. Is this the norm on the coastal region of NC. Should I think twice before considering a home with a pond in backyard.
How's the humidity by the coastal region.
The 11-12 inch rainstorm is not "normal" for the region, but it has happened. More typically, we had a lot of rain recently and there is standing water in the ditches in my community.

If you like a house with a pond in the back yard, evaluate it carefully for slope and closeness to the house. Some of the developers (like Waterford of the Carolinas) have done a good job of landscaping natural water into ponds. Many of the golf course communities also have ponds which provide enjoyable views.

Since we are on the coast, there is naturally a lot of humidity. You can find the statistics in the main City-data profile on Leland. Personally, I am uncomfortable in the summer heat and humidity, and stay inside more. But, YMMV. Overall, it is a good trade-off for not having heavy snow in winter.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,121,071 times
They may have had a 11" rainfall, but that is exceedingly rare. During a hurricane is the only time you'd see something like that. Humidity? Yup. We got lots of that in the summer.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,037,334 times
Normal annual precipitation for the Wilmington area is around 58". In 2012, the National Weather Service recorded 50.46" at the New Hanover International Airport.

Climate of North Carolina - http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM

12 posts, read 23,680 times
Like goldenage said it's better than snow. Still digging out of the snow in NY got around 15 inches counting down NC is not coming soon enough.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,885,540 times
No, you should not be concerned.

When Wilmington gets rain, it rains a lot...that's part of the price of being near the Ocean. But that doesn't mean we have more bad weather days than anywhere else, it just means "when it rains, it pours".

Wilmington weather can be compared to Florida weather in this way, it may rain at 3 on a summer afternoon for an hour then it goes away and the sun comes back out. Many times the beaches may not even see it.

Finally, the further North you go from Wilmington, the more it seems to rain...the stretch from Burgaw to Wallace always seems to be getting the afternoon thunderstorm in the summer and it won't be raining in Wilmington, probably because of the ocean winds that New Hanover County gets over that area and the humidity is higher as well as the temperature (just 20-30 miles north of town). As well it can be pouring in Wilmington and the sun can be shining in Kure Beach, but the pouring only lasts a little bit.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,264,095 times
HP91 - where are you thinking of moving? We are from South NJ and also are looking for lots with a pond in the back as this is what we have now in our neighborhood of Mt. Laurel. I was not crazy about the ponds in Waterford/Carolinas. Would like to see Winding River next visit. My favorites in this order so far are: St James Plantation - Ocean Ridge. i dont really know if ORP will allow us to build a raised "low country' home plan though.... thoughts anyone/?/

Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,885,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
HP91 - where are you thinking of moving? We are from South NJ and also are looking for lots with a pond in the back as this is what we have now in our neighborhood of Mt. Laurel. I was not crazy about the ponds in Waterford/Carolinas. Would like to see Winding River next visit. My favorites in this order so far are: St James Plantation - Ocean Ridge. i dont really know if ORP will allow us to build a raised "low country' home plan though.... thoughts anyone/?/
I already live in Wilmington, in the city. When you have kids, schools are the number 1 priority with where to buy a house, at least for me. That and being close to work with the gas prices not ever going down.

Note that most neighborhoods in Southeastern NC must have retention ponds in order to drain properly during heavy rains. Wilmington requires them for everything. Most municipalities have fee's associated with stormwater runoff so there are ponds everywhere. The golf course communities usually utilize them for their golf ponds.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM

605 posts, read 1,264,095 times
Default Winding River Plantation

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
How's the humidity by the coastal region. Thanks for your input.
We are visiting Winding River next month - we want to see a few more plantations in our search for retirement places (five years from now). My concern also is flooding. I wonder how much of Winding River needs mandatory flood insurance? I know very little of Ocean Ridge Plantation needs this insurance and about 1/2 of StJames needs it. I know the insurance can run over $3-4,000 a year - which means moving to NC would not be such a great deal after all. Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,153,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I know the insurance can run over $3-4,000 a year - which means moving to NC would not be such a great deal after all. Any thoughts on this?
As far as saving money, it depends on where you are moving from. If you pay property tax of $10,000 in New Jersey, yes, you would save money.

In addition to the flood insurance, you should ask about wind and hail insurance added to the homeowners insurance. Here in Mimosa Bay our homeowners insurance is $1990/year because we have to have the wind &hail coverage, but not the flood insurance. Combined with about $2400 in property taxes, we save about $800-1000 compared to Maryland where we lived before. That's not a lot of money, but we have a larger house in a more relaxed area.

Wind and hail insurance is likely to increase over the next few years. So, you should look for reasons other than strictly saving money before you decide on moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina