Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM

35 posts, read 96,357 times

Advertisements

Hi
I need some advice from people who know Wilmington very well. my boyfriend is currently stationed at ft Bragg in Fayetteville, i currently live in Los Angeles and want to move as close to him as possible to see him daily/weekly and to be together, but due to work limitations the closest I can get to him Is wilmington which is where my job can put me. heres my question for you natives....What choice would be the best for me keeping these things in mind...
1. My job is in wilmington on converse Dr

2. I will be travelling back and forth to Ft Bragg alot so i want to be as close to there as possible but still working in Wilmington at the above address 5 days out of the week.

3. id like to move to a very nice area, money is not a factor (i live in LA now so EVERYTHING is cheaper there LOL )as long as its safe and a more modern area.

is there maybe a city outside wilmington that i could live in that would get me closer to Ft Bragg but daily i could still get to work without driving over an hour? maybea city an hour in between Ft Bragg and Wilmington?

Please i need ideas and dont have time to come there to check it all out!

Thank you all!
~Marsha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:54 PM

197 posts, read 958,108 times
Any town b/w Wilmington and Fayetteville will be very small and rural. Coming from LA, I can't imagine you'd want to live anywhere like that. I'd stick with Wilmington and make the trip to Fayetteville when you can. It's not that bad a drive. Raleigh is closer to Ft. Bragg if you could find a job there, and it's a lower cost of living than Wilmington.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:03 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,125 times
Default Ft Bragg

Wow. To be young and in love! Sounds like a lucky guy there.

Let's step back and analyze this for a minute:

1) You have not mentioned work schedules. Let us assume that they click.

2) You have not stated whether you think the military will move Beau. A lot riding on this transfer.

3) What has Beau suggested?

Ok, you analyzed it and go is the condition. If you are willing to see Beau as frequently as daily, you are going to be travelling about 110 miles between the two cities. The good news is that almost half of that will be on Interstate 40 which should go very quickly. The bad news is, that it is 110 miles. Plan on at least 1:45 and probably 2 hours. For someone coming from LA, that might not seem like a long commute. Once you settle into the Wilmington style, 15 minutes will seem like an eternity.

Ask Beau if there are any car-pool/van-pool options between the two areas. If not from city to city, there may be an option for an intermediate point, like Wallace,NC.

Good luck. Thank Beau for his service to us!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 AM

35 posts, read 96,357 times
thank you for your advice. Im thinking that Wilmington will be the best bet to choose to move too since most citys in between are so rural. can you recommend a nice upscale area right around Interstate 40 what about castle hayne or Rocky point? are these good choices?

Last edited by MarshainLA; 10-30-2007 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 AM

197 posts, read 958,108 times
I'd recommend staying in town rather than venturing out to Castle Hayne or Rocky Point. Nothing wrong with them, but wouldn't be my first choice, especially if single and hoping to enjoy the restaurants, etc. in Wilmington.
Also, I'd check out the best route to Fayetteville. If you are near downtown, might be easier/shorter to take 74/76 and then 87 through Elizabethtown rather than going the I-40 route. I think most people take that route to Fayetteville if they are near downtown Wilmington. I'd try to get a place near my job and near the best route to Ft. Bragg/Fay.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

103 posts, read 900,002 times
Default Tarheel Born and Bred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshainLA View Post
thank you for your advice. Im thinking that Wilmington will be the best bet to choose to move too since most citys in between are so rural. can you recommend a nice upscale area right around Interstate 40 what about castle hayne or Rocky point? are these good choices?
Castle Hayne and Rocky Joint would be too country for her to live. I used to be a manager for a grocery store out in Castle Hayne, and there is nothing but country folk out there even though it is getting built up a bit.

Wilmington is the place for a person to live especially if one is from L.A.! The film industry is in Wilmington too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina