Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM

93 posts, read 422,652 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a 22 yr old college graduate with my degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management. I love the beach and love to surf and I am looking for an area with good beaches/surfing, decent cost of living, ample nightlife and cultural opportunities, and a laid back progressive attitude. I am not really concerned about jobs, because with my degree there are usually plenty of jobs anywhere I would like to move. Rent wise I would like to spend up to 1200 and be as close to the beach as possible. Also what are the average year round temps in wilmington area and can you surf year round there? I found a little info about an area called Surf City a bit north of Wilmington, does anyone have any more info? I am also looking into SoCal but its so expensive and crowded. Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Hello,
I am a 22 yr old college graduate with my degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management. ....... I am not really concerned about jobs, because with my degree there are usually plenty of jobs anywhere I would like to move...
Really? Have you tried? You might be in for an awakening, especially if you don't have any contacts in the industry or haven't done any internships. If you are currently employed in the industry, look into transferring within the company.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Hello,
I am a 22 yr old college graduate with my degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management. I love the beach and love to surf and I am looking for an area with good beaches/surfing, decent cost of living, ample nightlife and cultural opportunities, and a laid back progressive attitude. I am not really concerned about jobs, because with my degree there are usually plenty of jobs anywhere I would like to move. Rent wise I would like to spend up to 1200 and be as close to the beach as possible. Also what are the average year round temps in wilmington area and can you surf year round there? I found a little info about an area called Surf City a bit north of Wilmington, does anyone have any more info? I am also looking into SoCal but its so expensive and crowded. Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks!

If I had a real choice I'd pick Southern California over Wilmington, if you can't afford California then Wilmington.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,545 times
I'd pick SoCal, to be honest. I've been living in Wilmington for the past five years and there are a lot of great things about it, like the beach, but you will not find the laid back, progressive attitude here, at least not easily. It's a pretty conservative town. Culturally, it's okay, but not great. If you like to party, downtown Wilmington is pretty cool, lots of good restaurants and there is some diversity there, but basically we are still in the bible belt. There are a lot of religious and political conservatives here - nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for and I think after the first year of enjoying the novelty of it you'd find yourself feeling a little limited and disappointed. JMO. Good luck with your decision! Remember you're young enough that if you decide you don't like your first choice, you can always make a change.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:13 PM

120 posts, read 631,682 times
Default re

If you can find what you want in SoCal, I'd go there. There's way more to do especially in LA. My bro lived in LA and I got to go out there with him, the place never closes down. Wilmington feels dead in the winter months to me. Actually the whole coast of NC does to me, honestly there's just not a whole lot there especially when you compare it to what you could have in places like So Cal. If you decide to check out Wilmington, check out Wrightsville Beach, it's probably one of the cooler parts of the area and can have a bit of a So Cal flare to it in the summer.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
I am from SoCal and I think asking if you should go to SoCal or Wilmington is like asking if you like apples or oranges better. They are completely 100% different. The cost of living is a killer in CA, but there will probably be more jobs available. The surf is far better in CA, especially in the winter. Some summers the waves can be flat for days. If I was young and single I would still be in CA. I liked the NC beaches because they seemed so mellow and warm for my toddler. In CA the water is pretty darn cold even in the summer, but that was never a problem for me. I am a beach person, so I personally enjoy any beach; however, if I was surfer I would pick CA without question. Rent for $1200 won't get you much, but you can find a small studio if you look hard enough. The Ventura, CA area has great surf and is slightly less expensive than the LA area. People from NC think Wilmington is expensive, but it still far cheaper than even crappy inland places in CA....Good luck.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM

93 posts, read 422,652 times
Thanks for the input! enlightenme, I agree, Cali would probaly be my first choice but the affordability would be a factor. I have been to Ventura and Santa Barbara several times and its amazingly beautiful there the main thing that would stop me from moving there is the cost. Thats why I have been looking into Wilmington area, it has what looks like fairly nice beaches and in my opinion, is incredibly affordable for a beach community. I currently live in Phoenix, Az (my family moved here when I was still in high school) and I am so sick of the desert and insane heat, (ex, its Nov 10 and its 93 degrees here). In any case, the cost of living in Phx is rapidly approaching Ca levels, my question is, How is Wilmington so inexpensive? Are there jobs in the hospitality industry available there? I realize I will probaly make less there but with a lower cost of living it should even out. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input! enlightenme, I agree, Cali would probaly be my first choice but the affordability would be a factor. I have been to Ventura and Santa Barbara several times and its amazingly beautiful there the main thing that would stop me from moving there is the cost. Thats why I have been looking into Wilmington area, it has what looks like fairly nice beaches and in my opinion, is incredibly affordable for a beach community. I currently live in Phoenix, Az (my family moved here when I was still in high school) and I am so sick of the desert and insane heat, (ex, its Nov 10 and its 93 degrees here). In any case, the cost of living in Phx is rapidly approaching Ca levels, my question is, How is Wilmington so inexpensive? Are there jobs in the hospitality industry available there? I realize I will probaly make less there but with a lower cost of living it should even out. Thanks again for the advice!
Hey Rachel I've been in Phoenix for 19 years, just moved to Myrtle Beach. I agree I was sick of that desert and heat. Check out Myrtle Beach it's nice and has lots of hospitality jobs, especially with the Hard Rock park opening soon. I have 3 teens with me and they love it and they are making nice money as servers.

Lots of clubs and nightlife, you can get decent apts and even condos at the beach for great prices.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 PM

103 posts, read 900,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn216 View Post
I'd pick SoCal, to be honest. I've been living in Wilmington for the past five years and there are a lot of great things about it, like the beach, but you will not find the laid back, progressive attitude here, at least not easily. It's a pretty conservative town. Culturally, it's okay, but not great. If you like to party, downtown Wilmington is pretty cool, lots of good restaurants and there is some diversity there, but basically we are still in the bible belt. There are a lot of religious and political conservatives here - nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for and I think after the first year of enjoying the novelty of it you'd find yourself feeling a little limited and disappointed. JMO. Good luck with your decision! Remember you're young enough that if you decide you don't like your first choice, you can always make a change.
Dowtown Wilmington is the place to be for singles especially the Ice House. California is pretty expensive, and I would choose Wilmington. I don't think it is that conservative any more. There are plenty of New York and New Jersey people who live down here now, and plenty of liberals too. It is a good mix of everyone. It has gotten a bit congested and traffic can be a pain at times.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 PM

103 posts, read 900,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Hey Rachel I've been in Phoenix for 19 years, just moved to Myrtle Beach. I agree I was sick of that desert and heat. Check out Myrtle Beach it's nice and has lots of hospitality jobs, especially with the Hard Rock park opening soon. I have 3 teens with me and they love it and they are making nice money as servers.

Lots of clubs and nightlife, you can get decent apts and even condos at the beach for great prices.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that Myrtle Beach is the place to go for jobs in the restaurant business. Good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina