Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 11,823 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Name is Gene
Have great job offer ( promotion) but i will need to relo from New Jersey to Wilmington, North Carolina.
I am in my mid-40's and am pretty open to all things.

I will have my wife ( a few years younger than myself), my daughters ( 14- heading to high school next year, 9- going to 5th grade, and 19- daughter went to Paul Mitchell School, so she will look for employment in that field unless she decides on more schooling).
Wife has Jersey certs for EMT & Emergency Dispatcher, but may only work part - time if that. She is pretty creative and likes to do party palnning, arrangements, center peices, etc. She is really good but mostly does it for hobby...... never in business.

So looking for a 4-5 bedroom home, where I can have a pool. I have ssen plenty of gated communities and they look fun and family oriented. This is huge.
The community setting is good, but we still want our own little thing, pool, yard for the dogs, etc.
Schools and safety are the biggerst factors.

I have ben in contact with a realtor who was more leading to Hampstead????

I was looking at the Leland area, Monkey JUnction ( not sure if it is a city??)

Schools are huge with activities or strong recreation programs. We are from the city so some diversity is o.k. but we don't want it crazy.

The realtor I spoke with said there are commnities with the options we want.

home buying around 280,000 range is good.

I have heard that there is a car tax in this state? I have 3 cars total in the family. How does this work? How high is this tax? On the norm how are property taxes yearly or avg.

I don't want any well or septic, so what areas have municipal? How does that bill range or cost per quarter, monthly, etc?

Well any info is appreciated.

We do like the beach and don't really want to be in the stciks. We want more community= but not in the city.... just outside. My wife and daughters like to shop and all.... so we want a little of everything---- nocrime or limited with some diversity.

We are catholic so how does the religion and church fit in?

prefer public school as that is all they have attended here, but if needed private is considered.

my children are mixed ethnicity- black & white.......... very outgoing, intelligent, never any real trouble to speak of and actvie. they cheer, play softbball, dance, basketball, etc.

i coached many years of baseball here for travel teams and was a head coach at a private high school- i am a red sox fan too!!!!

well any input opinions are much appreciated. My wife and I will be happy to speak with anyone off line on any matter.

we hope to find others or age with similiar family ages and make up.

My wife needs a new BFF and I just need a sports guy and fishing mate.

girls are girls- they do it all!!

Oh my mother in-law may be reloing with s. she worked in marinas and all for years and is pretty busy. she will e with s until she settles in, gets a job, aprtment. great woman............. and of course the rand parents will be visiting.
our 3 older sons will visit, so they can do their thing but still have time with s.
BIG FAMILY but the job offer is great, Jersey is so expensive, and taxes are crazy. Crime is crime, but gangs and all are getting out of hand.

My company has a good relo pack for me and it never hurts to get a little rasie too to sweeten the deal.
Thanks.

Sorry for any sloppy typos..... i hate computers....... lol

Last edited by baseballmangene; 05-05-2013 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: addition of info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmangene View Post
I have ben in contact with a realtor who was more leading to Hampstead????

I was looking at the Leland area, Monkey JUnction ( not sure if it is a city??) ...
I don't want any well or septic, so what areas have municipal? How does that bill range or cost per quarter, monthly, etc?

We are catholic so how does the religion and church fit in?
I also suggest Hampstead rather than Leland because of better rated schools. Monkey Juction is just a nick-name for the Mytle Grove area which is not in the city limits of Wilmington. Don't be reluctant to look at Wilmington itself. There are moderately priced, safe neighborhoods like Pine Valley. Please do some searches on the forum, especially for comments by HP91.

Water tends to be expensive here, but it depends on which local company supplies it. We spent $100/month the first summer we were here, because we were establishing the lawn, but spend $28-30 in the winter months. Much of Hampstead and Pender County have municipal water. Some parts of Pender have septic tanks, especially on large lots. Your Realtor can probably search on those criteria. I have no idea how much sewer service costs. We are happy to be on a septic tank, and expect to have to pump it out only every 5-6 years or so.

The Catholic population is smaller than New Jersey, at 17% in Wilmington. I am sure you can find a compatible church in either Wilmington or Hampstead.

BTW, Wilmington has decent shopping for the women in your family. Hampstead has a fairly small amount of shopping, as it is only about 8,000 people. Wilmington has about 103,000 people, so it is more like a large suburb than a city.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 PM

196 posts, read 575,732 times
I was just looking at some school rankings (for what they are worth) that has Topsail HS as 5th in NC!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM

FWIW, I can address the property tax question also. Where we live in Onslow County, the mil rate is .585 per hundred. So, the tax on a house valued at $280,000 would be $1638. Rate are higher in Pender County and there are add-ons for the City of Wilmington. You can find the tax rates for any county by googling "mil rate XXXXXX NC County". For example, Pender County's chart is here: http://www.pendercountync.gov/LinkCl...s%3d&tabid=857 The current base rate is .5120, and there are add-ons based on which fire district, solid waste district and/or town you are in. Property taxes frequently do not include trash pickup. You have to hire a trash company unless your HOA does it, or else you haul it yourself. We take our trash and recycling to the convenience center twice a month.

In any case the taxes are way less than in New Jersey. However, you have to watch out for homeowner insurance if you are close to the water. For example, we pay $2400/year in property taxes and about $2400/year in homeowners insurance.

The personal property taxes on the cars are a nuisance. They are based on the car's current Blue Book value. The rates are also available for the counties through Google. For example, I paid $80 last year for my 2008 Saturn Vue.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-05-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 03:47 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Hamsptead sounds like your best bet or anywhere in Pender County on Hwy 17 before you hit New Hanover. Also look into to getting your kid enrolled into Pender Early College High. Kid who live anywhere in Pender County can go there. There is an application process though. At that school you have the option of graduating high school with an associates degree in hand. Plus transfer programs to other universities in the UNC system.
Pender Early College High School
Pender Early College High School - Burgaw, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM

thank you fro the replies to datr and i will follow up as advised.

The early school program by macjr82 sounds interesting.---- Is it a long commute would be my only concern..

Schools and family environments are our first and top rpriorities.

Thanks again and all the help is appreciated,

Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM

is it a long commute from Hampstead to Wilmington? I don't want a long commute, Also is it a good family oriented supported community. I know NC will be different from Jersey but my girls do need some activities.

Gene

Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
is it a long commute from Hampstead to Wilmington?
They are next-door to each other, so depending on where you work, it could be zero miles or 18 miles. Hampstead is a nice suburban community. Many communities are organized around a golf club or marina.

For recreation, check this: Pender County, NC : Recreation

There are also the beaches at Topsail or Wrightsville Beach. The high schools and churches will have the usual clubs. Your kids will have plenty to do.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM

I will be working right in Wilmington down town area.
I want good schools, but not a long commute= so I will look at the recommendations.
I am leaning towards Hampstead but want to see the towns around Wilmington= schools, family oriented, etc. I don't have a desire to live right on the water, but close.

I am willing to commute up to about 20 minutes or so, but the less the better.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I am leaning towards Hampstead but want to see the towns around Wilmington= schools, family oriented, etc.
My remaining suggestion is to look for newer houses, since they are more likely to be in young family neighborhoods. Communities like Olde Point Road tend to have older houses and mature residents. The golf communities in Hampstead may have more retirees.

In addition, the closer to Wilmington, the more likely you are to have city sewer service. As you go further out in Hampstead, you are more like to find septic systems, especially on house with 1/2 acre or more lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina