Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We'd be moving from VA to Greenville. Either that or Seattle and I'm not ready to move back to the West Coast (we lived there forever and love seeing a different part of the country).

My husband will would work for Vidant Health and we homeschool so schools aren't a worry.

Can you help me decide which neighborhoods to consider?

We'll be renting and can afford up to $2100/a month. Safety is huge for us. My husband grew up in a neighborhood that backed up to a bad area and had problems, so safety is always on his mind.

Our boys, of course, love parks. We all love the library. We have a German shepherd who is like our third child and I'd love to find a dog park where he can run.

We're big into swimming and have an indoor pool here in VA that we love. Is there something similar in Greenville?

How far away is the beach? And where do Greenville people go for an easy vacation?

We also love snow -- do you guys ever get any?

Last -- and very important -- how bad are the bugs in Greenville? I have a spider phobia. We don't mind paying for a regular exterminator --- are bugs a huge problem like they are in GA?

When crime is discussed on this board I always wonder: are the suburbs dealing in serious crime or are we just talking Greenville proper? In our VA town we have terrible, serious crime, but it's in the middle of the city. We live in a suburb and never (knock wood) see crime.

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Generally, on crime topics, it is pretty isolated areas of Greenville, and at pretty specific times.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM

32 posts, read 86,815 times
Wow, we are a family with two boys, a dog, we homeschool and would love to get closer to the ocean. We have never been to the NC coastal region, but find myself researching it more and more. We are in Eastern Washington and looking for the perfect area. My husband works as a project manager for heavy highway/bridge work, and so far it seems as though that is a tough find. We would love to live on the east coast to experience something other than the northwest and I, too, have a spider phobia. lol Can't wait for people's responses!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams2Travel View Post
My husband works as a project manager for heavy highway/bridge work, and so far it seems as though that is a tough find.
There has been talk of building another bridge over the Cape Fear River called the Wilmington Skyway, however that has been put on hold.

I hope you husband finds work in an interesting area, however, Greenville is not a place I would recommend for you to live. There are far more interesting cities in the southeast: Charleston, Savannah and Jacksonville, Florida, for example.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams2Travel View Post
Wow, we are a family with two boys, a dog, we homeschool and would love to get closer to the ocean. We have never been to the NC coastal region, but find myself researching it more and more. We are in Eastern Washington and looking for the perfect area. My husband works as a project manager for heavy highway/bridge work, and so far it seems as though that is a tough find. We would love to live on the east coast to experience something other than the northwest and I, too, have a spider phobia. lol Can't wait for people's responses!

There is a lot of major road constructions going on around Jacksonville/Camp Lejeune.

Here is who was awarded one of the contracts, not sure who the subcontractors are, if any. I'll keep an eye out for signs:
https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&m...=core&_cview=1

Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Hi Everyone,

We'd be moving from VA to Greenville. Either that or Seattle and I'm not ready to move back to the West Coast (we lived there forever and love seeing a different part of the country).

My husband will would work for Vidant Health and we homeschool so schools aren't a worry.

Can you help me decide which neighborhoods to consider?
Winterville, which literally runs into Greenville, is a good place to start looking. It's the family friendly suburb of the area.
We'll be renting and can afford up to $2100/a month. Safety is huge for us. My husband grew up in a neighborhood that backed up to a bad area and had problems, so safety is always on his mind.

Our boys, of course, love parks. We all love the library. We have a German shepherd who is like our third child and I'd love to find a dog park where he can run.
City of Greenville, NC <<<<link to off leas dog park
We're big into swimming and have an indoor pool here in VA that we love. Is there something similar in Greenville?

How far away is the beach? And where do Greenville people go for an easy vacation?
Atlantic Beach (Bogue Banks "Crystal Coast"), at about an 1.5 hours, is the closest. You also have Nags Head (OBX) and Wrightsville (Wilmington Area) at about 2.5 hrs apiece. You also have Little Washington and the Estuarium and Goose Creek State Park, which is about 30 mins away. But I wouldn't say it's a spot frequented by locals. Raleigh is about 1.5 hrs away as well.
We also love snow -- do you guys ever get any?

Rarely and it's usually gone as quick as it came. Everything shuts down here at the mere mention of snow. Occasionally we'll have a heavy snow, though.

Moderator cut: image removed
Last -- and very important -- how bad are the bugs in Greenville? I have a spider phobia. We don't mind paying for a regular exterminator --- are bugs a huge problem like they are in GA?
The subtropical environment in the US bascially begins with Eastern NC. So there is a variety of insects, and other wildlife, that make Eastern NC their home. The more you are with city limits the less you'll have to deal with it, but I'd be more concerned about waterbugs and mosquitoes than spiders. Spiders do exist in NC. You may see a lot of garden spiders this time of year. Despite looking monstrous they are harm;ess and you should never see one inside your house. Black Widows exist, but you don't run into them regularly.
When crime is discussed on this board I always wonder: are the suburbs dealing in serious crime or are we just talking Greenville proper? In our VA town we have terrible, serious crime, but it's in the middle of the city. We live in a suburb and never (knock wood) see crime.

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions!

Alley
Answers above

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
It's not really the Black Windows that you have to worry about. I've seen quite a few of them and find them to be rather obvious to see and slow to move. They will never hide out in the open but always be away from the light, inside of boxes or in sheds. The spider that scares me is the Brown Recluse. I've only ever seen one and it was fast. They will hide in similar places to Black Widows but they don't have a web. A bite from a Brown Recluse is always really bad and can be fatal. I believe the Brown Recluse can be found up and down the East Coast and in the Mid-West.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's not really the Black Windows that you have to worry about. I've seen quite a few of them and find them to be rather obvious to see and slow to move. They will never hide out in the open but always be away from the light, inside of boxes or in sheds. The spider that scares me is the Brown Recluse. I've only ever seen one and it was fast. They will hide in similar places to Black Widows but they don't have a web. A bite from a Brown Recluse is always really bad and can be fatal. I believe the Brown Recluse can be found up and down the East Coast and in the Mid-West.

I was going to mention Brown Recluses, but though they CAN be found in NC, they rarely ARE. It's nto native to the State.

Quote:
Although brown recluse spiders can be found in North Carolina, they are simply not very common.
Brown Recluse Spider - ENT/rsc-1

Quote:
The native range lies roughly south of a line from southeastern Nebraska through southern Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana to southwestern Ohio. In the southern states, it is native from central Texas to western Georgia and north to Kentucky.[3][4]
Despite rumors to the contrary, the brown recluse spider has not established itself in California nor anywhere outside its native range.[5] Over the last century, occasional spiders have been intercepted in various states where they have no known established populations; these spiders may be transported fairly easily, though the lack of established populations well outside the natural range also indicates that such movement has not led to colonization of new areas, after decades of opportunities
Brown recluse spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina