Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 36,542 times

Advertisements

We met some wonderful people while on vacation recently who raved about how much they loved their retirement home near Wilmington, NC. We are still looking for a coastal home that would suit our needs. From what we can tell the Wilmington area might very well suit us as far as housing, restaurants, beaches, etc. However, we wonder about whether the conservatism associated with "red states" might make us less than welcome there.

We would not fit in with retirees who regularly watch Fox News and get their political opinions from the likes of Rush Limbaugh. That said, we also do not fit in with people who get their opinions from Democracy Now! We prefer being around people whose opinions are formed by reading widely and thinking through issues on their own, and who can tolerate a world view that embraces complexity and ambiguity and, most importantly, do not make their political, social, or religious beliefs the subject of every social interaction.

So what do you think? Could we live happily in an upscale neighborhood populated by 60-something retirees in the Wilmington area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamove99 View Post
We prefer being around people whose opinions are formed by reading widely and thinking through issues on their own, and who can tolerate a world view that embraces complexity and ambiguity and, most importantly, do not make their political, social, or religious beliefs the subject of every social interaction.

So what do you think? Could we live happily in an upscale neighborhood populated by 60-something retirees in the Wilmington area?
I would love to have you as a neighbor. I live in a small community, and we don't generally discuss politics or religion in a confrontational way. I belong to a women's book club and another organization. We know we have differences, but we manage them politely.

If think that if you find the right group of intelligent friends, you will be fine. I run across occasional bullies but I have learned to deflect or avoid them. Southern-style charm goes a long way to remind bullies they need to be polite around controversial issues.

FWIW, we have never been asked where we go to church. A friend who is a native of NC, reported being a bit non-plussed when someone asked her where she went to church. Such questions don't usually happen.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-12-2014 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
I'm a registered Republican that overwhelming votes as I please. My vote can be found red or blue and sometimes not at all if I don't like anyone that is running. I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. I believe in God but don't attend a church.

It's pretty rare that any of this comes up in conversations with people. When I first moved here in 2006, the neighborhood I was in was traditional old south and the question of religion was asked a few times. I've since moved and no one has asked me since then.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM

38 posts, read 75,168 times
Hey Wannamove, I don't think politics or religion are a major social issue among Wilmington residents. Most retirees move to Wilmington to live a laid-back lifestyle. There's a group of people in any city that love to talk about politics, religion, and anything else controversial, but Wilmington is already such a melting pot of different cultures, you won't be ostracized for whatever you believe. You'll be able to get involved in the community and find new friend's that have similar views as yourself, and that's who you will mostly associate with. You might check out social meeting sites like Meetup.com and see what groups are active in the area, plus there's new groups started all the time. I recently saw a group called Humanist and Free Thinker's which sounds like it might appeal. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Sounds great. Thanks! Can't wait until we come down to visit and check the place out.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:46 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Are you outspoken about your personal beliefs? If not, you'll be fine. If so, you'll still be fine, but people might say "bless their heart" more behind your back.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM

413 posts, read 701,697 times
There are plenty of northern retirees in the Wilmington area, like myself, who vote democratic and don't attend church. Plenty of young folks as well, whom I got to know attending community college, with liberal views. You'll find plenty of company and we all do manage to get along.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm not at all outspoken about my views, and I had wonderful friends when I lived in Nashville back in the 1970s. But that was before things became so polarized, politically, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
you guys sound just like us, and we are not from up north! imagine that ! Some posters on Cd makes it sound like the north is the only place liberals/democrats live.
I do however like to talk politics,
I want to try to understand other points of view but I have also learned places where not to
bring it up.
We don't belong to any church and have rarely been asked about church. That said, there is a church on every corner but then again church is good business.[ there , I could not keep that inside]
You do get "have a blessed day" quite a bit though but then , hey , I want to have a blessed day but
maybe not in the way it was intended.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
What an insulting question. Talk about stereotyping! I recommend not moving to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina