Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,226 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have been reading posts in this forum for years. I think I have read every recent post that mentions Wilmington or Carolina beach from the past few years! And now i'm asking for some guidance.

We are moving to Wilmington this summer. My husband will be working at UNCW, I work from home, two elementary school age kids. We will be spending around $400,000 on a house. I have narrowed my search to the areas east of College rd and South of the university. I like the fact that the neighborhoods between College and Masonboro Loop have many interconnecting roads with cul-de-sacs, seems like that would keep it low traffic where one could recreationally walk, jog and bike. In other parts of area, I see places where there are several houses built on a single road which connects to the main road and there is NOTHING else. You would need to get in your car to do anything. I have narrowed in on the area around Wade Park specifically, it seems to me like one could walk around this area safely. Being close to the beach is very important to us as well, so we have looked at a few development more south. Any info on Tidalwalk or Tarin Woods? I have scoured the internet, but would like to hear from locals, not just the people trying to sell the homes.

Now, the catch is my husband has expressed interest in living in Carolina Beach and commuting to UNCW. I know the trades offs would be: Smaller lot, Smaller house, less privacy (yard-wise), longer commute, and I'm assuming insurance costs would go up?? I'm trying to figure out all the downsides and if we feel it's all worth it to be able to walk to the beach anytime we want. Am I missing any major issues? Would the commute be intolerable?

I'm visiting in about a month to find a house and make a final decision. Any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-zaT View Post
Any info on Tidalwalk or Tarin Woods? I have scoured the internet, but would like to hear from locals, not just the people trying to sell the homes.......
Now, the catch is my husband has expressed interest in living in Carolina Beach and commuting to UNCW. I know the trades offs would be: Smaller lot, Smaller house, less privacy (yard-wise), longer commute, and I'm assuming insurance costs would go up??
My only comment on Tidal Walk is that I would not buy a homes built by DR Horton as they are a mass-production builder. If you can afford a custom built home, they would be better.

The other issue with Carolina Beach homes is there would be no room for a garden, and no shade trees, but that may not matter to you. I think the commute to UNCW would be tolerable, as it is only 14-16 miles.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-24-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The other issue with Carolina Beach homes is there would be no room for a garden, and no shade trees, but that may not matter to you.
I don't think that's necessarily true. There are homes for sale right now in CB with grassy yards, flowerbeds, and shade trees. What I would be concerned about would be tourist season. I think if you live in Wilmington you would be fairly insulated from the brunt of summer vacationers, but if you are right at CB they could be pretty overwhelming in the summer. If you are okay with that then it might be worth checking out. Not only would traffic be worse, but the community feel of the neighborhood would be pretty different. I'm pretty sure the majority of the homes at Carolina Beach are summer rentals and not year round residents. It wouldn't be like the planned subdivision with the neighborhood pool, but you would be AT THE BEACH!

When this summer are you relocating? Will you have time to visit Carolina Beach during the height of summer before you settle on a home?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My only comment on Tidal Walk is that I would not buy a homes built by DR Horton as they are a mass-production builder. If you can afford a custom built home, they would be better.

The other issue with Carolina Beach homes is there would be no room for a garden, and no shade trees, but that may not matter to you. I think the commute to UNCW would be tolerable, as it is only 14-16 miles.
I toured the model home and really liked the location and amenities, however, when I came home and did research on DR Horton, I was shocked at the scathing reviews about them. It makes me very hesitant. Also, I'm not a big fan of the gated community concept, nor HOA fees in general. All the homes in my price range are DR Horton and I really don't have the time nor inclination to build from scratch! They have reduced the prices on a couple homes recently and I was revisiting the idea, but I am getting warning bells and wondering why they haven't sold.

Does the "east of College st." rule apply to the areas more south, after it becomes Carolina Beach rd?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true. There are homes for sale right now in CB with grassy yards, flowerbeds, and shade trees. What I would be concerned about would be tourist season. I think if you live in Wilmington you would be fairly insulated from the brunt of summer vacationers, but if you are right at CB they could be pretty overwhelming in the summer. If you are okay with that then it might be worth checking out. Not only would traffic be worse, but the community feel of the neighborhood would be pretty different. I'm pretty sure the majority of the homes at Carolina Beach are summer rentals and not year round residents. It wouldn't be like the planned subdivision with the neighborhood pool, but you would be AT THE BEACH!

When this summer are you relocating? Will you have time to visit Carolina Beach during the height of summer before you settle on a home?
I agree. I am debating essentially two different lifestyles. Ulimately I have to decide. I want to have a house to move into by July, so I will need to decide before summer. I am renting a condo at Carolina Beach during spring break to do my house hunting. Also, we plan on traveling for much of the summers in the future, so we might not be impacted AS much, may even be able to do a house swap. Thanks for your input!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Does the "east of College st." rule apply to the areas more south, after it becomes Carolina Beach rd?
If the question is about safety and crime, I'd say that all of the areas adjacent to Carolina Beach Road are safe. There are some very nice communities like Beau Rivage on the west or river side of CB Road.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
now, there are some really bad neighborhoods around the port, e.g. Shipyard @ Carolina Beach Rd. But south of that, the Carolina Beach Rd. or River Rd. corridor is fine.

For example, the area behind Cape Fear Academy is nice and relatively new. (e.g.: Fireside Court, Bexley Drive, Steeplechase Rd.) .. sometimes referred to as "Carriage Hills"

the big problem i have with the southern part of the county is the soil. it is just pure sand in many places, and depending on where you are you can have one hell of a time with landscaping or even your home's foundation.

i'm not going to comment about Carolina Beach itself. suffice to say that ... some people do like it, but i wouldn't live there.

Last edited by le roi; 03-24-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
I have stated on here many times that the goal (for most) in Wilmington is to live as close to the water as possible. I know folks that live in both locations...with kids.

The fact that your husband is willing to commute makes it feasible...it isn't that bad a commute...15-20 minutes to Oleander Drive area. The CB Elem school is pretty good, Middle and High are adequate. The fact that you work from home makes this even more feasible. If you were working in Wilmington and your kids were in school at CB, you would be making trips back and forth all the time.

Veterans Park hosts many athletic leagues, even adult....CB has plenty of restaurants and entertainment options...to the point where you don't have to go to Wilmington for everything.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the input. I would love to buy on Pleasure Island. In doing some research, I am coming across horror stories about the flood insurance rates. What's the real deal? What are some realistic rates? I know it depends on so many factors, but if it's in the 10-20 thousand dollar range, then I'm out. How do I find out without having a specific property in mind? I've seen some new construction that looks super nice, anybody know anything about these areas or how fast/slow properties are going currently? Do you think the inventory will stay more or less the same a month from now? Thanks for any help! I'm researching as much as I can online, but appreciate your opinions!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I would love to buy on Pleasure Island. In doing some research, I am coming across horror stories about the flood insurance rates.
I don't know the full story, but I also saw that some properties at Pleasure Island are not in flood zones, and do not require flood insurance.

Unfortunately, it is a period of change, and you can't be sure of what the rates would be in the future. I think that all you can do is contact realtors about specific properties you like, and ask them to have the owners disclose their flood insurance premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina