Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,029 times

Advertisements

I am considering an internal transfer from Ashburn, VA to Wilmington, NC with my current employer. I am single African American Mother with 2 children; 13 (girl) and 16 (son). I love Northern Virginia because of its diversity in population, self-sufficient communities, and excellent school in Fairfax and Loudoun counities respectively.

My employer is currently consolidating/relocating functions. I have no desire to move Tulsa, OK or Orlando, FL. However, I would seriously consider a move to NC. I have dealt with traffic in NVA my entire life and would not mind a short-commute work location in Wilmington. I would be looking to purchase with price range between 100-325K, good school district, diverse and welcoming community.

I am planning to come down for visit sometime in June 2014. I would also welcome recomendations on realtors, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 AM

13,372 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsumthing View Post
However, I would seriously consider a move to NC. I have dealt with traffic in NVA my entire life and would not mind a short-commute work location in Wilmington. I would be looking to purchase with price range between 100-325K, good school district, diverse and welcoming community.

I am planning to come down for visit sometime in June 2014. I would also welcome recomendations on realtors, etc.
I think you would be fine in Wilmington. Sometimes the traffic reminds me of the DC area! There is not the quite variety of ethnic restaurants as DC has, but there is a diverse population in Wilmington.

You can search other threads for recommendations on schools and neighborhoods. There have been some random crimes that frighten some of the posters here, but the city is far safer than Baltimore (just to pick an example).

Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 AM

38 posts, read 75,155 times
Hey, Wilmington's a great place to live! It's kind of a melting pot of cultures here so you'll fit in. There are many good parts of town to live in, but I think Hoggard High is probably the top rated HS in the area right now. It usually has great athletics teams too for your kids after school if they're interested. The school district is centrally located in the county and property values have risen almost 12% in the past year in area code 28409, which is East of College road in the Hoggard district. With your price range of up to 325k, you will many options available to you as far as housing goes. This part of town is close to the Monkey Junction area which is growing quickly with new shops and restaurants popping up each year. It's probably 20-30 mins from the downtown area and closer than that to the beach and restaurants located there. Tell us more about you and your family's interests and life style and we can help you more. I'll be happy to answer any real estate questions you have.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
That's a big disparity in price range. You won't find much for 100K. If you tell us what type of housing/neighborhood you are looking for (Historic? Condo? SF? Big yard?, Suburban?), we may be able to offer more insight in terms of where to look.

IMO, you have to know what you want if you are dealing with a realtor...many only know so much. Some have expertise in Historic properties, some in waterfront, some in high end....they all seem to have their niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: