Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 PM

18 posts, read 125,443 times

Advertisements

I'm an NC native who grew up in the mountains. A lot of the hurricanes were so large that there outer bands still raised hell 400 miles away in my hometown. When I moved to the beach, I wasn't afraid until this year...

Ironically, it's not the hurricanes that scared me. We have had some very bad storms lately. This past summer, over a one week period, I think we had 3 apartment complexes catch fire from lightning... I know that it seems that the last 2 years storms were worse than any I've seen here before... The thunder would shake pictures off of my walls and occur every minute or so for a good half hour...

The hurricanes we've had lately have been mild. I shouldn't admit this... but I love the hurricanes (the safe ones)... The weather immediately following a hurricane is the most gorgeous, still weather you'll ever see... it's beautiful...

After a 1-2, most stuff is open throuhgout the storm or immediately after... after a 3, a lot of stuff will open within a few hours if possible...

About the flooding, ANYWHERE CAN FLOOD... ASK YOUR NEIGHBORS... I know that I lived in the same place for 3 years... and the flooding got worse and worse as Wilmington's sewers continued to become more cluttered w/debris each year... the last year, we were nearly flooded out during a regular rainstorm when years earlier we went through 3 hurricanes in a row w/no flooding at all...

Just trust your instinct and do what feels right for you and your family... better safe than sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina