Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times

Advertisements

What is with the high amount of beggars in this area? I see supposedly homeless beggars regularly around the Walmart/Chick-fil-A intersection. If it isn't a homeless person, it's a "charity" wanting handouts. I'm not sure if they are collecting for an authentic charity or if they are keeping the monies for themselves.

And please, spare me the I'm not being generous or charitable comments. I used to give to these curbside folks but realized I'm just enabling them. If others refused to give, they'd move along and go elsewhere.

It wouldn't be so bad if they kept their distance. But they approach your vehicles! I don't want anyone walking up to my car, asking me to roll down my window, and begging me for money while I'm waiting for the light to turn green. It makes me uncomfortable, and I don't feel safe doing it. Leave me alone! It would be different if they had a store-front setup.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to be happening more regularly. As you can tell, I'm over it!

Last edited by escapenc; 04-25-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
You know Escape, your view of New Bern, IMHO ,is way to hostile, but...you are right on here.

I don't like beggers and I don't like them getting near my car.

New Bern is no where near as bad as you say, but it is going in the wrong direction. Fast!

Keep on keeping on!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I have never had a begger approach my vehicle. I just ignore them and move on.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
Some people or beggers as you may call them are actually homeless and have no other choice but to ask for help!!! Have any of you who hate them so much ever been homeless??? I have and i am. I myself have never asked anyone for money by holding a sign but i have thought about it every day. Do any of you know how it feels to not know where you will sleep? Where or when you will eat again? Wonder how you will shower? Or any of that??? Yes some may take your charities and go get alcohol. But you know what, ask yourself this, if you were homeless, lost all your hopes and dreams and were lost, wouldnt you? Some of us homeless people are not homeless by choice. Circumstances beyond my control happened and got me here. But i pray everyday and everyday i wake up. Sometimes wishing i hadent. I see you people and i see the way you look at us. Like we are a disease. We aint no different than you or your best friend. We just are not as fortunate as some. But we are still human.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 18,012 times
It has little to do with being fortunate Jess. It has everything to do with drive, determination, the decisions people make in life. Some folks make poor decisions all the time.

I had a guy approach me in front of MJ's in NB, he was carrying three grocery bags full of stuff and had the guts to tell me just how unlucky he has been. He was right in my face, six inches away from me. I instructed him to get away from me now. He did, and as all panhandlers do, blessed me. They don't really mean it of course, it's a page from the beggars handbook. By the way luck has little to do with it as well. I considered him a threat to my wife and myself, as people all should.

Jess, you are in no way the same as me, I busted my butt for many years to live a comfortable middle class life. You make your own luck, decisions, desire, self respect, image, education. All of you, go earn it yourself, I have never taken one thing from anyone, I don't give it either.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I've never been to New Bern, so can't comment on that area. I can say that I don't like being approached--on foot or in my car--for money. If someone can find a place to stand with their sign or busk for cash, they're not bothering me. If the town doesn't like it, the police will tell them to move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina