Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times

Advertisements

My family and I are interested in moving to Wilmington. My husband is in real estate and I work in family medicine. We have 2 elementary school aged kids and 2 dogs. We would like to be close to the beach or river since my husband surfs, I paddleboard and we have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who lives on a river now and hates to be landlocked. Any ideas??? Probably will rent to start then buy in range 250-300,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lynch View Post
My family and I are interested in moving to Wilmington.... Any ideas??? Probably will rent to start then buy in range 250-300,000.
Your plans are completely feasible, but one of you needs to tie down a job. Wilmington is between a river and the Intercoastal waterway along the ocean, so there are plenty of places for water sports.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 AM

You might also look at the answers to similar queries from the recent past. Many northerners have been attempting the same move, as Wilmington seems to be a desirable destination.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...cation-ny.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ilmington.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...e-go-help.html

Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lynch View Post
My family and I are interested in moving to Wilmington. My husband is in real estate and I work in family medicine. We have 2 elementary school aged kids and 2 dogs. We would like to be close to the beach or river since my husband surfs, I paddleboard and we have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who lives on a river now and hates to be landlocked. Any ideas??? Probably will rent to start then buy in range 250-300,000.
Realtors were a dime a dozen in the Wilmington area during the housing boom...thankfully that has tapered off to the ones that actually like doing real estate. It's an interesting market because of folks relocating for all different types of reasons. Some of the jobs available now are with these large subdivisions trying to sell new homes. You may want to start by getting your medical job where you can and then your husband can find his place in the real estate market.

I heard Wrightsville Beach recently described as one of the best places to paddleboard in the US...and we know it is one of the better places to surf on the East Coast, so I would try and get as close to there as possible...maybe try the Holly Tree district for Elem School...or you could find something in your price range in Pine Valley, which has larger lots.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 AM

61 posts, read 115,236 times
Hey follow Mainer! What part of Maine are you from? My husband moved down here a year and half ago with a job transfer, I followed about ten months later. We live in Hampstead. We looked at a lot of areas in and around Wilmington, but decided we liked the small town feel of Hampstead. We are just a short drive from Wilmington, and about 15 minutes from Topsail Beach.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM

413 posts, read 701,697 times
Mentioning your Chessies put me in mind of the time several years ago when we found two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers wandering around our townhouse community on Topsail Island. They had tags with a phone number so we called the owner. They were from the mainland and had swum across the sound. The family had left the dogs alone for the afternoon in the yard and they got bored and decided to swim across to see what was going on on the Island. They are great dogs; having grown up by the Chesapeake, I have a fondness for them.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:30 PM

You may miss the availability of lobsters in Maine. Since we came here 2 years ago from Maryland, I have not seen lobster in the grocery store, not even frozen tails. There are plenty of good fresh shrimp, scallops and fish however.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
Let's just say that in my paddle boarding experience ,
Wrightsville beach hardly fits in the top
ten best places in the US for paddle boarding.
There are times paddling at WB's Banks Channel that one takes a high risk
of getting run over by a speed boat.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Let's just say that in my paddle boarding experience ,
Wrightsville beach hardly fits in the top
ten best places in the US for paddle boarding.
There are times paddling at WB's Banks Channel that one takes a high risk
of getting run over by a speed boat.
Well...I guess it depends on your perspective...here is a perspective in terms of a recent SUP race...

The Carolina Cup is Quickly Approaching, Are You Ready? | World Paddle Association - WPA

Quote: " The Carolina Cup was named by Outside Magazine as one of the “not to miss” SUP races of 2014, and is the informal “Kick-off” to the SUP racing season in the US. In 2012, the Carolina Cup was the largest race on the East Coast with over 400 paddlers competing in the first day ofraces. In 2013, we had over 600!"

They call the course the "graveyard"...its the largest SUP race on the East Coast and is sponsored every year by the Blockade Runner resort. You would think they would schedule the largest SUP Race on the east coast at Wrightsville because it is one of the best places to SUP. Here is a video of the 2014 race...

http://blog.sunplay.com/blog/2014-carolina-cup-sup/

As well, SUP is great up around Topsail Beach among other places besides Banks Channel.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
Just because the largest cup race is scheduled in Banks channel does not mean it is the best place to
paddle board. that said , there are many places to paddle around here but getting to the ICW is
not always easy, not a lot of free or paid access.
We attempted for two days to go to check out the vendors and action/race
at the event but as hundreds, if not thousands others found out , there is not enough
parking on Wrightsville Beach. Event coordinators did not plan
any shuttle services , etc. Many people were put off by this and thinking about
the few parking spaces on the island it is a wonder that even all the participants
found parking.
This race is put on by a hotel , the Blockade Runner in WB and they obviously do a great
job advertising this venue. During the race here are of course boats that patrol the waters in order to keep all the crazy boaters dragging skiers and wake boarders but on a daily basis paddlers are left to fend for themselves due to no restrictions on speed in Banks Channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina