Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM

39 posts, read 102,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Purple,

Did you sign your life away? Would you mind telling us about your new home? Winding River?
We did sign a contract on a house at WRP yesterday. It was a bank foreclosure, but the house was in good shape with mostly decorating issues. We are buying the house "as is" and it will be interesting to see the results of the house inspection. The house is about 13 years old so I expecting to replace the HVAC system in the future and deal with a new roof down the road. The house is almost entirely brick, but the trim areas do need painting.

The house is along a fairway of the golf course, but I don't play golf. I have read the covenants and I can't set up a lemon aid stand to make extra money on the fairway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times
[quote=Mr. Purple;34751309]We did sign a contract on a house at WRP yesterday. It was a bank foreclosure, but the house was in good shape with mostly decorating issues. We are buying the house "as is" and it will be interesting to see the results of the house inspection. The house is about 13 years old so I expecting to replace the HVAC system in the future and deal with a new roof down the road. The house is almost entirely brick, but the trim areas do need painting.

The house is along a fairway of the golf course, but I don't play golf. I have read the covenants and I can't set up a lemon aid stand to make extra money on the fairway.[/quote]

Bummer

I bet you saved a lot of $$ by accepting a few flaws. Good luck with it. I really don't trust these new builds - I've heard too many conversations amongst workmen about the things they do and don't do that you would never know unless you stood and watched the house go up (and had the knowledge).

Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 AM

39 posts, read 102,568 times
[quote=Umbria;34753622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple View Post
We did sign a contract on a house at WRP yesterday. It was a bank foreclosure, but the house was in good shape with mostly decorating issues. We are buying the house "as is" and it will be interesting to see the results of the house inspection. The house is about 13 years old so I expecting to replace the HVAC system in the future and deal with a new roof down the road. The house is almost entirely brick, but the trim areas do need painting.

The house is along a fairway of the golf course, but I don't play golf. I have read the covenants and I can't set up a lemon aid stand to make extra money on the fairway.[/quote]

Bummer

I bet you saved a lot of $$ by accepting a few flaws. Good luck with it. I really don't trust these new builds - I've heard too many conversations amongst workmen about the things they do and don't do that you would never know unless you stood and watched the house go up (and had the knowledge).

I did save a bundle. This house was in good shape, but we won't know for sure until the house inspection is completed. Our relator told me about seeing foreclosure houses on the market that were trashed and even missing the outdoor heat pump/ac unit.

I am not an expert on building, but I think you are correct about new construction methods. I witness a crew laying brick in another development and the process was all about speed. They had three guys on the line doing three different functions with another guy handing them bricks. It looked like they were trying to set a new world record instead of building a house.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple View Post
I did save a bundle. This house was in good shape, but we won't know for sure until the house inspection is completed.
Congratulations. It sounds like a good deal on a house that was well built.

Regarding SJP, I have not seen it contradicted that you have to have a social membership (including the equity fee) to use the pool or health club. For me that would be prohibitive.

I hope you find that WRP fully suits your needs.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Congratulations. It sounds like a good deal on a house that was well built.

Regarding SJP, I have not seen it contradicted that you have to have a social membership (including the equity fee) to use the pool or health club. For me that would be prohibitive.

I hope you find that WRP fully suits your needs.

You do not haqve to pay the 15k or 30 k to use the pools to the best of my understanding..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
You do not have to pay the 15k or 30 k to use the pools to the best of my understanding..
Thank you. I wish it were easier to find the true costs of buying in the various plantations. The web site for "Carolina Plantations" used to have sections with costs on each plantation, but I cannot find them now. Perhaps it is too difficult to keep up, or the sales people want to control the information.

The person asking about Waterford never got an answer because I could not find those sections.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 PM

383 posts, read 892,508 times
Just a few comments on the posts above. For SJP, you have to pay the membership to use the pools and fitness centers at the clubhouses. You can use the pool at the beach club, as that is covered by the POA fees. Resident that are not members of the clubs can use the eateries at the club houses or at Tommy's.

I also want to give "my opinion" on building methods. Just because a house was built 14 years ago, it does not mean it was built of higher quality. All builders have hired laborers on their teams to perform construction. You can be the most expensive builder in the community and you will have these members working very hard on homes. Also, 14 years ago we were in a housing boom and houses were being constructed at a very fast pace.

In SJP there is a builders guild. I had people monitor my construction and my friends who built and used guild members were very satisfied. I have no doubt Mr. Purple purchased a well built home. As a foreclosure it may need some TLC, but as he stated the inspection will disclose any problems. I just don't like general comments about building based on observations. Your best bet to protect yourself is to research the builder and ask about their sub contractors. You should also check references. Taking those steps, you should be fine and have a wonderful home.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,719 times
Quote:
Thank you. I wish it were easier to find the true costs of buying in the various plantations. The web site for "Carolina Plantations" used to have sections with costs on each plantation, but I cannot find them now. Perhaps it is too difficult to keep up, or the sales people want to control the information.

The person asking about Waterford never got an answer because I could not find those sections.
I would contact Plantation Properties, they can give you all the information on various plantations as well as costs for amenities. They were very helpful to me.

Give them a call

St James Plantation Real Estate, Brunswick Forest Real Estate, Waterford Real Estate, Southport NC Real Estate, Magnolia Greens Real Estate and Property Lots | Plantation Properties

Old 05-14-2014, 12:26 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times
Quote:

This site has info on costs:

Search for the best master planned Coastal Southern North Carolina communities

Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 PM

81 posts, read 224,697 times
Huh. I guess I never followed up with the forum. My bad. We ended up buying a resale lot in SJP (near the Players Club for those familiar with the community). I wanted a lot relatively close to an entrance and near a fitness center. My husband wanted trees and relative privacy. Our lot has both.

Next step is to select a builder and a floorplan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina