Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM

197 posts, read 958,108 times

Advertisements

If you want to live in a city, Wilmington is your only choice. The other three are small towns and I would only consider them if I was sure I could handle small town life. I know a young family that moved to Beaufort from Charlotte area and they did not like it, it was too small, they ended up moving back. Being on the water is great but there are many other considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 05:26 AM

6 posts, read 11,985 times
My wife and I are currently making a decision on one of these towns. One thing I have noticed on the real estate websites is the difference in property taxes in the different areas. They can differ greatly. For a home in the 250 to 300,000 range, Morehead City $750/yr, Beaufort $1200/yr, Wilmington $2500/yr. These figures are averages since the taxes vary from house to house, but the range is accurate. Morehead City is just across a bridge from Beaufort, so you have access to both, and I believe close shopping is better in Morehead City. We are going on a fact finding trip this week, but both areas look good so far. Housing is somewhat more abundant in Morehead City, and taxes somewhat lower. Wilmington is seemingly afflicted with higher taxes. I will try to report after our trip.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYLANDNO View Post
Wilmington is seemingly afflicted with higher taxes. I will try to report after our trip.
The city of Wilmington also has a higher number of poor people, it has a city police force and more services like trash collection. Whether you think they are worth paying for is your choice.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
Morehead city has a population of around 8,000. Wilmington is over 100,000. Carteret County/Crystal Coast has an over-abundance of housing inventory. Currently it has a 20 month supply (6 months is considered "normal").
The bridge between Morehead and Atlantic Beach changes the home price by about times 2 (The beach of course being more expensive). But if you just drive about 10-15 minutes west towards Newport the cost of a home will divide by about 2again. A $600K AB home will cost about $300-350K in Morehead and about $150-200K in Newport.
Carteret county is going through a tax assessment with new rates coming out next year. We are revenue neutral which means if land values go up, tax rates go down and vice versa.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
Thanks all for your input,keep it coming.My husband and I are also looking at this area as a retirement home place.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Morehead city has a population of around 8,000. Wilmington is over 100,000. Carteret County/Crystal Coast has an over-abundance of housing inventory. Currently it has a 20 month supply (6 months is considered "normal").
The bridge between Morehead and Atlantic Beach changes the home price by about times 2 (The beach of course being more expensive). But if you just drive about 10-15 minutes west towards Newport the cost of a home will divide by about 2again. A $600K AB home will cost about $300-350K in Morehead and about $150-200K in Newport.
Carteret county is going through a tax assessment with new rates coming out next year. We are revenue neutral which means if land values go up, tax rates go down and vice versa.

Hope you are paying attention. This might be the best, most succinct real estate analysis ever offered.

Good Luck

Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,043 times
Thank you to HP91 & LLN. My husband & I are trying to relocate to SouthPort....Loved it there. We are having a hard time finding Long Term Rental property. We have been working with a Local realtor...any ideas.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:09 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpluchinoLINEast View Post
Thank you to HP91 & LLN. My husband & I are trying to relocate to SouthPort....Loved it there. We are having a hard time finding Long Term Rental property. We have been working with a Local realtor...any ideas.
Have you tried Realtor.com? There are 11 rental listings. They are either single family houses or condos. Some are in St James and some are in other developments. The prices range from $1375 to $1800. If that is too much money, then extend your search a bit beyond Southport. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtherapist View Post

Want to be pretty close to the beach and really want a downtown that has a sense of charm to it.
Beaufort and Southport ... though other towns also fit the bill including New Bern, Manteo and Swansboro

Quote:

can spend around $300-$350k.
No doubt you can find a nice home in any of these areas at that price range. Just dont expect water front or water view. I recommend Zillow to look for homes.

Quote:
I am trying to avoid the tourist feel and am hoping to find an area where one would enjoy walking around the downtown area and possibly have some type of board walk (walkway) along with water itself.
All of these areas attract tourist. All are on the water. The least touristy is probably Swansboro and Edenton. The most touristy: Wilmington and Beaufort.

Quote:

Also love it if there are docks near by where one could possibly eat at a restaurant by the water.
Beaufort and Southport top the list in good food on the water in my opinion though Wilmington has some nice waterfront restaurants it does not have a small town feel because it's not a small town.

Personally, I love Beaufort. Lots of activities and in the summer .... lots of tourists and it is one of the most popular stop overs for some very nice yachts traversing the ICW. Housing can be pricey depending on what you want.

I also love Southport. Again, lots of activities and the the 4th of July celebration is amazing, but LOTS of people come for that ... I'm talking 40 to 50 thousand people. But its fun. Over all I do not think it is quiet as touristy as Beaufort.

Both these places are busy and vibrant in the summer, are close to many stores and restaurants, have a small town feel and enough population to remain active during the winter as well not be mention being absolutely beautiful, quaint etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,043 times
Post Southport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Have you tried Realtor.com? There are 11 rental listings. They are either single family houses or condos. Some are in St James and some are in other developments. The prices range from $1375 to $1800. If that is too much money, then extend your search a bit beyond Southport. Let us know if we can help further.

thanks so much! have tried Realtor..Zillow..Craigs list. I'm also working with a great realtor. problem is not a lot of rentals long term...pet friendly. Have not given up hope. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina