Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times

Advertisements

I have heard great things about the Outer Banks all my life. When I look at the pictures I see sandy beaches, ocean, and generally what you expect to find when you go to the shore. Now, we have been to many shore places up and down the Maryland's eastern shore and other places. So my question is is the Outer Banks different enough to take the family for an 8 hour ride? Are we gonna wake up and see a typical sandy beach in front of us, as pretty as it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,853 times
In a fundamental sense, you're right - yeah it's a beach with tourist shops. Although the sand dunes on Jockey's ridge are unique things not every beach has. When I was a kid a thought the long bridges over the sounds were interesting to ride over.

It helps to be interested in history to travel the outer banks. There are memorial sites for war battles, shipwreck sites. There is the Wright brother's museum in Kitty Hawk, There are lighthouses at Hatteras and Ocracoke. There's Fort Fisher and the USS NC battleship.

If your kids are older and they like quiet and nature there are long stretches of the outer banks that have no development. Fine for bird watching or just getting out of the car and walking an uncrowded section of the shore.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So my question is is the Outer Banks different enough to take the family for an 8 hour ride? Are we gonna wake up and see a typical sandy beach in front of us, as pretty as it might be?
The waves are a bit higher and rougher than some other areas on the east coast. The lighthouse is interesting, but, no, I don't think it is unique enough to be worth an 8-hour trip. BTW, Fort Fisher and the US NC battleship are in Wilmington, not the Outer Banks.

If you are looking for other wild natural places closer, you might try Assateague Island.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 AM

288 posts, read 413,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
In a fundamental sense, you're right - yeah it's a beach with tourist shops. Although the sand dunes on Jockey's ridge are unique things not every beach has. When I was a kid a thought the long bridges over the sounds were interesting to ride over.

It helps to be interested in history to travel the outer banks. There are memorial sites for war battles, shipwreck sites. There is the Wright brother's museum in Kitty Hawk, There are lighthouses at Hatteras and Ocracoke. There's Fort Fisher and the USS NC battleship.

If your kids are older and they like quiet and nature there are long stretches of the outer banks that have no development. Fine for bird watching or just getting out of the car and walking an uncrowded section of the shore.
Fort Fisher and the Battleship are in Wilmington, about 5 hours from the Outer Banks...

Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
Go south of Ocracoke for a change of pace. You'll see more cars from Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey on OBX than you will from North Carolina. Ironically those cars from New England usually have license plates that begin with OBX.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

If you are looking for other wild natural places closer, you might try Assateague Island.
Matter of fact we were there last summer. Nobody wanted to get out of the car. I guess watching wild horses wasn't worth the trouble.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times
We went one time and felt that was enough. The history was interesting, but climbing over the dunes to see the ocean was problematic for me (arthritis) and the ocean is rough. I think it's a nice vacation and enough to see/do, but too far to drive for a repeat.��⛵

Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 PM

288 posts, read 413,554 times
I used to go to the Outer Banks at least once a year from NY. It's one of my favorite places in the country honestly. Well worth the 8 hour drive in my opinion. It is unique for a beach in how vast it is, and the wildlife is also something you can't really see anywhere else. That paired with the history make it a really great place.

If you've never been, certainly worth the drive. Personally, I can't wait til the next time I can get over there. We're going to camp on the beach (another cool thing to do there)

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
It depends on what you're expecting. I have friends that vacation every year in Ocean City, MD. They asked me about the OBX. I asked them what they expected. Perhaps an experience like Ocean City with the boardwalk and almost carnival like atmosphere? They said yes, like that. I told them not to bother.

Although the OBX is not want for visitors, and has plenty of touristy type shopping, it is a much more laid back experience. You go to the OBX for the beach and the ocean. As others have noted in this thread, there isn't really much to do outside of the beach.

The OBX is a part of Eastern Carolina. While there is plenty to see and do in EC, it is spread out and requires a lot of driving to get to the different places.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
I was underwhelmed on my first trip. Maybe my expectations were too high. I expected magic, and the Outer Banks did not deliver. However I have been a million times, in varying capacities, so it was not all that bad.

If you want a week or two week vacation to recoup and escape your day to day BS, it would be worth 8 hours. Any less than a week, and you are pushing it, especially if you need something other than water and beach to "make your day."

I would NEVER do it for a long weekend. I don't to the three hour for that now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina