Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 10,163 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job where he could relocate to Wilmington if we wanted. My questions are this. If I didn't want to live in the city but suburbs are there any towns or communities that you could walk to cafes or shopping. I am nervous about living the city because of crowds and safety issues. Not sure if this is case with Wilmington but most cities, the schools aren't as good and safety is a bigger issue then suburbs. I wouldn't mind the beach if there was shopping and other things to do but would really like to be under 400,000. the more under the better. I also was wondering do most people see if when there kids get older are they staying in area or leaving. Any input on where to look would be appreciated. And if you know of family friendly safe good schools in downtown area let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:37 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamove1 View Post
If I didn't want to live in the city but suburbs are there any towns or communities that you could walk to cafes or shopping.
There are not really any walkable suburbs around Wilmington. Southport has a couple of coffee shops and delis near its water-front, but the decent grocery stores are only car-accessible. Hampstead is a typical strip-mall suburb spread over many miles. The beach communities like Surf City are not walkable either. Carolina Beach might be somewhat walkable.

For a combination of relative safety and relative convenience, I suggest the Ogden section Wilmington.

Regarding whether people stay or leave Wilmington, I think there is a net influx. It is a great destination for retirement. There some wonderful gated water and golf access communities.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Default re loc

thanks alot

Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,866,370 times
Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are all walkable...and you could find something around 400K in Carolina or Kure.

Mayfaire is certainly walkable and has places for less than 400K.

When the River Lights neighborhood gets going, it will have a mixed use component to it and be walkable. I can walk to plenty of stuff from my Pine Valley neighborhood. And certainly the areas around Landfall you can as well.

Wilmington is a busy place, so you have to get used to that...but it still has a small town feel to it once you get to know people.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 PM

Default re loc

thanks I will look into those areas.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 PM

288 posts, read 414,620 times
I haven't been here very long, but Mayfaire is certainly a very nice walkable suburb area and as someone else said, all the beach towns are walkable (depending on what you want to walk to)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina