Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times

Advertisements

Good morning-it's a lovely Monday here.

We are looking for information about the areas between Currituck, New Bern, and Elizabeth City. We are hoping that in 2 years we can come back to my Mother's home state where all my family is-I am the only one here in NY as they came here in the 50's for jobs. Well now they have passed and we want to move where my family is. Vacationing in a area or visiting relatives only gives one small glimpses of a area. Although I've been coming down for 48 years-I want a non relatives opinion.

We will both be looking for work. I will have my 19-A certification with SBDI when I leave here-I've been in the school bus industry for years-right now I also dispatch. My hubby was a concrete dispatcher until the company was bought out by a big corp and they let everyone go. He's been doing work with a durable medical good company filling oxygen on a transfill station and deliveries. We'll be in our early 50's so plenty of life left work working.

We are also looking for a home that's not going to be in a HOA-can't stand them. Looking for a small town but close enough to do our errands as needed when we things come up. Hubby is really into fishing and hunting-we are upstate NY'ers and neither of us are interested in the concrete jungles that are out there-we like a bit of space and a nice campfire at night to relax around. So that gives you a bit of our history.

What are job prospects in the area like? How about taxes? Insurance being near the coast-but really being a hour inland would be fine for us also.

Give me the good the bad and the ugly. I really appreciate all your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
At least one of you should scope out the job market. I think that New Bern and Washington, with a population of elderly would be a good location for delivering oxygen for a similar DME company. Just don't expect the same amount of money you are being paid in NY. You might also look at Greenville which has the best medical facilities in north-east North Carolina. If your husband has a truck driving license, he might also look at the phosphate mining company in Aurora.

I'm not sure what SBDI is, but if you can contract to be a school bus driver, you should contact all the County level school systems in your area of interest.

Property taxes outside of the city limits of New Bern are reasonable. However, you pay extra for hurricane insurance if you are east of I-95. For example, in Onslow County we payabout $1900 in taxes and $2300 in insurance for a house worth about $300,000.

It is fairly easy to avoid HOA's if you you look at non-development houses. Look for lots with a half-acre or more. They will probably also have septic tanks if they are outside of town, but that will save you money. The sewer and water charges are fairly high here. If we had sewer, the fee is $62.50/month regardless of how many people in the house.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
At least one of you should scope out the job market. I think that New Bern and Washington, with a population of elderly would be a good location for delivering oxygen for a similar DME company. Just don't expect the same amount of money you are being paid in NY. You might also look at Greenville which has the best medical facilities in north-east North Carolina. If your husband has a truck driving license, he might also look at the phosphate mining company in Aurora.

I'm not sure what SBDI is, but if you can contract to be a school bus driver, you should contact all the County level school systems in your area of interest.

Property taxes outside of the city limits of New Bern are reasonable. However, you pay extra for hurricane insurance if you are east of I-95. For example, in Onslow County we payabout $1900 in taxes and $2300 in insurance for a house worth about $300,000.

It is fairly easy to avoid HOA's if you you look at non-development houses. Look for lots with a half-acre or more. They will probably also have septic tanks if they are outside of town, but that will save you money. The sewer and water charges are fairly high here. If we had sewer, the fee is $62.50/month regardless of how many people in the house.
Thanks for the reply. He really hopes NOT to work in the DME industry-it's the only job he's been able to find in 6 years that it's been since the company he worked was sold. He'd probably make more money there-he's just making $9.97hr here-they even cut it .53 cents an hour and he works just 20hrs a week. Our area is super depressed on the job end-it's become a bedroom community of NYC since 9/11 and the pay isn't here. He went from being in management as the concrete dispatcher at 50K a year to under 10k a year-it's more than humble pie for anyone to stomach. He's hoping for something that he could at least make 25k at. Not unreasonable IMHO. Can't even find that here these days.

A SBDI is a school bus driver instructor-the 19A-examiner goes along with it as it enables you to train drivers, teach portions of the requirements needed for refresher courses. etc. I am hoping to become a Master Instructor-then I can write my own ticket anywhere in the US and travel to make the money as a consultant.

We've been wondering about hurricane insurance. Most of my family lives up by Eden, Boone, Greensboro and Danville, VA. Not much of a issue out that way. We are toying with that idea also, it's us doing research before we start actively looking for work. Getting the best information we can. We aren't looking for a expensive home-we are going to sell ours since we don't have a mortgage any longer and downsize a bit. Or look for a nice level ranch that's about 2000sq ft and 1/3 of a acre of land. The older we are going to get-the less we'll want or be able to up keep the yard stuff up at say 70+.

Thanks for the reply-much better than hearing the relatives who all want us to just jump and come on down into the fold. I like informed decisions better.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
We've been wondering about hurricane insurance. Most of my family lives up by Eden, Boone, Greensboro and Danville, VA. Not much of a issue out that way.
If the Greensboro area is an option, then the job picture is probably much better than in Eastern North Carolina. It is a much larger city than any in ENC. I would forget about Eden as I read bad things about it-- no jobs and too many people on drugs.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I think they make school buses between Salisbury and Statesville. Huge mfg plant, but it seems to come and go.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I like the post and I think you may be looking in the right area.

If you and your husband's jobs now are not very good, you may be able to find something that is better in Eastern NC...I'm just not sure it will be doing what you have been doing, although bus drivers are needed everywhere.

GA had a good suggestion about the PCS plant in Aurora. Maybe check out the Avoca plant between Windsor and Edenton....or there is a Papermill in Plymouth and a Wood Pellet facility near Ahoskie (all of whom require truck drivers). That area is prime hunting and fishing area's...and the housing is VERY affordable with room to spread out. You aren't worried about schools, and these are safe communities, just on the poor side because they are rural. Keep in mind that the closer to the water you are the more expensive the land will become.

In terms of towns, I'm ok with recommending Windsor and certainly Edenton, with Plymouth and Ahoskie less desirable. Williamston is not too bad. Elizabeth City can be hit or miss...I love their new Panera Bread.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If the Greensboro area is an option, then the job picture is probably much better than in Eastern North Carolina. It is a much larger city than any in ENC. I would forget about Eden as I read bad things about it-- no jobs and too many people on drugs.
I've asked questions about the area there too. It's a shame as my Grandparent's home is up for sale there and he was a architect who designed the home in 1923. I'd love to own the home I've not been to in decades, but sinceTI've heard about the issues there about low jobs and drug related crime-I am not interested in dealing with more of what's moved here to my area.

I know my parents loved Greensboro-Mom was a graduate of UNC-G. I could easily live there-but the hubby likes a little more space between houses so you can't see into the neighbors living room.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I think they make school buses between Salisbury and Statesville. Huge mfg plant, but it seems to come and go.
I am in supervisory position now with a school district, so I'd rather try for dispatching, safety officer or a assistant transportation director if we make the move. Not looking for manufacturing for myself. Maybe the hubby. My college degree was in hospitality and tourism management. It's a round about way I ended up in school transportation.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I like the post and I think you may be looking in the right area.

If you and your husband's jobs now are not very good, you may be able to find something that is better in Eastern NC...I'm just not sure it will be doing what you have been doing, although bus drivers are needed everywhere.

GA had a good suggestion about the PCS plant in Aurora. Maybe check out the Avoca plant between Windsor and Edenton....or there is a Papermill in Plymouth and a Wood Pellet facility near Ahoskie (all of whom require truck drivers). That area is prime hunting and fishing area's...and the housing is VERY affordable with room to spread out. You aren't worried about schools, and these are safe communities, just on the poor side because they are rural. Keep in mind that the closer to the water you are the more expensive the land will become.

In terms of towns, I'm ok with recommending Windsor and certainly Edenton, with Plymouth and Ahoskie less desirable. Williamston is not too bad. Elizabeth City can be hit or miss...I love their new Panera Bread.

My job is good-being it's civil service here in NY. But down there I have to make my own way in the school transportation industry and getting as many certifications as I can before I get there makes me more valuable. I don't drive these days as I am one of the supervisors and dispatch. Hubby might do better with the plants as he was in warehouse management in the Army and dispatched for 21 years too. It's hard to keep starting over, but that's what he's been doing for the last 6 years here.

Schools-not worried as our youngest will be in college at that point. We have car and will travel to see her play soccer in college.

I am concerned about the high insurance costs for being too close to the coast as too much you can't get insurance. I'd rather still have to drive a few hours than risk another Hugo wiping us out. Rural doesn't bother us as this used to be a farming county-at one time there were over 200 farms here-now under 50 all who sold out in the early 90's for McMansions. I grew up running through my best friend's uncles apple orchard.

Keep the suggestions and information coming-this is helping quite a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina