Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,892 times

Advertisements

Hi I am considering relocating to Wilmington and have a rental on topsail island for the week. Was hoping to check out Wilmington while here. I planned to take the trolley tour to get some history on the place but was hoping for some input on areas to visit to get a sense of the communities in/around Wilmington. If I do relocate I don't need to be right in the city...around is fine....i would eventually buy if I liked it. I would be relocating from CT with my husband and our 3 yr old....housing budget about 400k...we are a multiracial family ( I only mention this because I have read mixed reviews on racism in the area) . I appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnaReid View Post
I planned to take the trolley tour to get some history on the place but was hoping for some input on areas to visit to get a sense of the communities in/around Wilmington. If I do relocate I don't need to be right in the city...around is fine....i would eventually buy if I liked it. I would be relocating from CT with my husband and our 3 yr old....housing budget about 400k...we are a multiracial family
Except for the small downtown, Wilmington IS a suburb. It is mainly single-family homes, strip shopping and apartment buildings no higher than 3 stories. I like the areas along Masonboro Loop Road and Myrtle Grove Road. They are newer and somewhat cookie-cutter. For older homes with more character, try the neighborhoods around Oleander Drive and Independence Blvd. For a "neo Main Street" mixed use development, check out Mayfaire.

If you really want to look at a suburb, you will drive through Hampstead from Topsail Beach. I like Eagles Landing, but it is gated so you would need a Realtor to show you around. The Olde Point Country Club has some interesting older homes.

I suggest picking up one of the Real Estate magazine from a box outside a drugstore, so you get an idea of what is attractive to you.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-23-2014 at 09:42 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I would be relocating from CT with my husband and our 3 yr old....housing budget about 400k...we are a multiracial family ( I only mention this because I have read mixed reviews on racism in the area) .
The multi-racial aspect should be a non-issue unless you are out in the rural, farm country. There are many military families and people transferring from all over.

Where would you expect to find work? It is a good idea to minimize the commute time. The traffic in Wilmington can be congested. It is a peninsula with only a couple of bridges from the Brunswick County side, so I do not recommend Brunswick County.

Carolina Beach is also an area with decent schools if you would like the be actually at the beach.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,892 times
I run a real estate team here in CT. I plan to come back once a month or so to keep an eye on things but for the most part I can work remotely. I would likely do something in real estate in nc as well so commuting not an issue for me. Hubby is a programmer in a hospital....how is to job outlook in the area in that field?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hubby is a programmer in a hospital....how is to job outlook in the area in that field?
Undoubtedly lots of competition from the locals and few jobs. The husband would have much a better chance of finding a job in larger cities like Raleigh or Durham. Greenville also has the large Vidant hospital.

However, the Castle Branch firm is relocating here, and they have an ad for a programmer: http://www.indeed.com/cmp/CastleBran...9724d28a37b59f

Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,869,669 times
Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach are Wilmington's main suburbs. 400K is not going to cut it there. You can move to Hampstead or Leland, but you don't need to. Half of the population of New Hanover County is NOT in Wilmington....as GA said, most of the town (and county) is a suburb and there is no differentiation between in Wilmington and out, except that Wilmington has more amenities in it.

I would check out the Masonboro Sound road area, the Pine Valley area, the Holly Tree area and the Porters Neck area. Keep in mind that closer to the water is more expensive.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,716,531 times
Wrightsville -- no, your budget won't stretch.

Carolina Beach -- yes, you can find something in that price range. It won't be directly on the beach but you'll only be a couple blocks back. Good local school...and the quality of life there is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina