Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 05:44 AM
LLN LLN started this thread

5,265 posts, read 10,745,551 times

Advertisements

Here is the whole deal, in a nutshell:

"There was no talk of salvation, no plan to hold back the tide. The 39-inch forecast was “a death sentence,” Kelly said, “for ever trying to sell your house.”

And that, sportsfans is what all the hoopla is about!

On N.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 AM

29 posts, read 39,987 times
Please do not rejoice in this.

There are many families living on our coast that have been there for generations and many hoped their ancestors could do the same. It is becoming very evident this will not be possible and the question is now becoming how to transition away from this life on the coast. These people are becoming scared and I don't blame them.

I do not have an answer for what to do, but causing total chaos now will cause these people to lose alot for an event that will gradually take place over a long timeframe.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:38 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,873,156 times
So when is this sea level rise supposed to happen? Many generations have been on the coast...how much has it risen in the last 100 years? Last 50 years? Last 30 years?

Many times science can't get out of its own way, because "forecasts" are based on some model, which may or may not be wrong.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM

No one is rejoicing, but at the same time, no one likes to see greed rampant. And the greed of those wishing to make a buck, cost others their buck.

One thing is for sure. We will see. You can bank on that, we will see.

HP, if your question is actual, instead of rhetorical, there is a lot of data that a simple google search will reveal. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
No one is rejoicing, but at the same time, no one likes to see greed rampant. And the greed of those wishing to make a buck, cost others their buck.

One thing is for sure. We will see. You can bank on that, we will see.

HP, if your question is actual, instead of rhetorical, there is a lot of data that a simple google search will reveal. Good luck.
I didn't see any "data" in the article, just references to data.

What I do know in working on the coast for awhile, is that even after all the storm events in the past 15 or so years, I always see the water go back down. I'm wondering what is supposed to "trigger" the event that is going to change things from what have been recently occurring. I'm not denying better construction methods on the coast or Stan Riggs...I actually know Stan Riggs....he's a good guy, very smart.

There is one town I know of that has enacted a 3 foot freeboard because the depth of flooding during two events was much higher than the scientists told them it should be. In that case, the scientists are wrong based on actual events. When questioned, they refer to "models", and not real life events. Not discounting science, but it is just one aspect of reality.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Here is a little data for you. From the good ole North Carolina Study,

Of course, if you wish to dispute the data, that is your call.

http://dcm2.enr.state.nc.us/slr/NC%2...ce%20Panel.pdf

You should read some comments in the Washington Post article. I think at this point I would be embarrassed to state I was from NC, pretty much anywhere in the world. The key item is to understand the difference in change and rate of change (acceleration).

I think, Buyer Beware takes on special connotation these days.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,008,165 times
From what I have witnessed, the models... or is it modelers in my state were spot on.

SLOSH was done for the community of Wickford RI BEFORE Superstorm Sandy.

And unfortunately, Sandy's SLOSH matched a Cat 4 projection.

You know... it's a combination of things... melting LAND ice, erosion of existing coast and warmer ocean water. Water molecules expand as they warm.

We bought our beach house in 1947. The water didn't overlap the narrow road in front of the beach then during a high moon tide.

It does now.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:28 AM

277 posts, read 437,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
From what I have witnessed, the models... or is it modelers in my state were spot on.

SLOSH was done for the community of Wickford RI BEFORE Superstorm Sandy.

And unfortunately, Sandy's SLOSH matched a Cat 4 projection.

You know... it's a combination of things... melting LAND ice, erosion of existing coast and warmer ocean water. Water molecules expand as they warm.

We bought our beach house in 1947. The water didn't overlap the narrow road in front of the beach then during a high moon tide.

It does now.
That's apples to oranges.

It's like HP said, all of this stuff is based off of some models that show a trend. The thing is, trends change. We can barely predict the weather a week before it happens, much less the future of our climate. Why? Chaos theory. The world's most brilliant atmospheric scientists still admit that we don't understand all of the components of weather and climate. They can't even tell when ENSO cycles will end or begin. The earth does what it wants, we just follow.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is a little data for you. From the good ole North Carolina Study,

Of course, if you wish to dispute the data, that is your call.

http://dcm2.enr.state.nc.us/slr/NC%2...ce%20Panel.pdf

You should read some comments in the Washington Post article. I think at this point I would be embarrassed to state I was from NC, pretty much anywhere in the world. The key item is to understand the difference in change and rate of change (acceleration).

I think, Buyer Beware takes on special connotation these days.
I briefly looked at the report you linked. It says that the sea level rose in the Atlantic by a few millimeters a year while lowering in the Pacific. It also says that "forecasts" were by 2100 (almost 100 yrs) were that sea level would rise between 7 and 23 inches.

Without going into much else....and knowing that there are Coastal Land Management practices in place that were not there 50 years ago or even 25 years ago....I'd say this is much ado about nothing right now. Structures are built with about a 75 year life span (they certainly can last longer if taken care of). I'm all for new construction having higher standards...that's pretty consistent since flood mapping was first adopted in 1983. I noted a local municipality that has a 3 foot freeboard. But that HUGE disparity in the "Forecasts" does not dictate huge policy changes...that's absurd. I don't know if what NC is doing is right, but to act like the economy wouldn't be factored into the equation is burying your head in the supposedly rising sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: