Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM

116 posts, read 184,112 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My family and I are considering a move to the Wilmington area next spring. I have lots of questions but will ask one at a time. We are planning a visit in September.

I would love to hear any and all thoughts on the schools in Wilmington. I have two sons 7 and 8. When We relocate they will be going into 3rd and 4th grade. I am also very interested in any thoughts on the 2 Catholic schools St Marks and St Marys. Any that are fanatastic? Any that are awful? etc.

We are from Boston and my boys have attended both public and Catholic schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM

oops that should be fantastic, lol

Old 07-03-2014, 03:53 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,869,669 times
I have friends who have sent their kids to both and seem pleased. St Mary's can tend to be kids in the downtown area and Brunswick County. St Marks is more of the eastern side of the county.

There are a number of good elementary schools...for the most part you can't go wrong if you stay College Rd area schools to the east.

There is NOT a Catholic High School in Wilmington so you may want to consider that...both catholic schools are k-8.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM

353 posts, read 605,486 times
St Mary's and St Mark's are both good.

Until recently, I would have agreed with HP91's comment about the public elementary schools, but currently all public schools in NC are suffering because of the extremely low teacher pay scales we have here. Other states are actively recruiting NC teachers, and most are fleeing the state.
My son attended a deceptively archaic looking public elementary school called Winter Park Elementary. It turned out to be about the best possible place he could have gone, with teachers who took amazing care of the kids, a principal who was actively involved with the individual children, and a solid Parent-Teacher Organization that paid for all the kids school supplies (ALL the supplies for ALL the kids). It was a wonderful experience, but now that principal retired and most of the best teachers who were there have left the state. It's really sad.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,869,669 times
Well...I won't argue with Winter Park since I know less about it, although deceptively archaic is an interesting term (it was just renovated a few years back)...but I do know that Bellamy, Anderson, Carolina Beach, Pine Valley, and Bradley Creek have shown great progress. That goes along with very highly rated Ogden, Eaton, Codington, Parsley and Holly Tree.

There are a number of good Elementary Schools in Wilmington...and any State teacher issues matters less in Wilmington because it is a destination job/place for so many teachers. There are a ton of qualified applications for any job opening.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:41 PM

I will definitely look into St Marks, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina