Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 PM

16 posts, read 19,519 times

Advertisements

Considering several areas in Nc but here is my biggest concern. Have NEVER lived on my own before...I know remarkable!! Just want to be in a safer area where neighbors keep an eye on each other or it is safe to be during the day and not need bars on my windows. Obviously the standard safety issues of being in an area at night are understood and I'm not naive having lived near a large city but need to be realistic being on my own. What areas could I consider that fit the below? Thanks!
1. I'll need to buy in the range of 60k-100k. I've done lots of remodeling so a fixer-upper is fine if on the lower end. Only need a 2/1 but would be open to larger.
2. Prefer a home but need enough room to build a 6'x8' soaking pool in yard or on a porch for health reasons. Looking at properties with city or county(?) water rather than well because of this.
3. Divorcing and hope to take about 6 months off. Since I'll be paying cash for the house and will have buffer, employment isn't a huge concern to me. I'm a fiber/installation artist and hope to teach somewhere but only have a bachelors. Also have interior design experience. Worked in a variety of other fields too and just need to cover non mortgage expenses.
4. no kids with me
5. prefer suburban or rural but want to be no more than 30 minutes from beach. Doesn't have to be a big beach but I'm moving to the coast to be be able to walk on a beach again having lived in a winter freeze for last 20+ years.
6. Demographics as long as things are safe are not a big concern either. I'm in my 50's but relate to all ages/ethnicities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjayne View Post
Since I'll be paying cash for the house and will have buffer, employment isn't a huge concern to me. I'm a fiber/installation artist and hope to teach somewhere but only have a bachelors. Also have interior design experience. Worked in a variety of other fields too and just need to cover non mortgage expenses.
Could you teach knitting or weaving? You might like Richlands which has a wonderful knitting/weaving shop called the Tailspinner. It is also a cute little town where you might find a fixable bungalow in your price range. It is close to either North Topail or Emerald Isle beaches.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:11 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
There are some small fixer upper, on the upside, homes in the New Bern Riverside Historic area on the market now. It is about 45 minutes to the beach, but not a bad drive, other than the hell of Havelock. But the rest of us deal with it, you can, too. The biggest hassle based on your criteria would be the pool. This is a Historical District (Hysterical District) and while the back yard is normally ok, they make a living out of putting bricks in the wall and making ones life difficult. Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM

16 posts, read 19,519 times
Thanks all. I can teach weaving, papermaking, but not knitting. Never got the hang of that one.

I can imagine a Historical district would be a nightmare! I've had friends in the Chicago area that have had to deal with it. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 PM

22 posts, read 31,903 times
Hi, I just got hired on at Cherry Point NAS and was doing a little research about places to live in the area and came across your comment "...the hell of Havelock." Can you explain that a little further? Your input is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina