Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 05:33 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times

Advertisements

OKAY GANG. WHO CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD SITES FOR LOOKING AT HOME PLANS. WE HAVE A GOLF COURSE LOT IN OCEAN RIDGE PLANTATION BUT BECAUSE WE HAVE A POND IN THE BACK, WE HAVE A LOT OF RULES TO CONSIDER. WE WANT A: GREAT ROOM/THIRD GARAGE BAY FOR A WOODWORKING SHOP; NO DINING ROOM! WE WANT A TYPE OF LARGER KITCHEN TABLE IN THE KITCHEN AREA INSTEAD. OUR PROBLEM IS THAT WE HAVE A BUILDING ENVELOPE BECAUSE ORP WANTS 'SIDE ENTRANCE GARAGES' OF 56 WIDE BY 60 DEEP BECAUSE OF THE POND, ETC. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Before you look at house plans...........you need to consider the following:

Square footage of lot

Front, side and rear setbacks.

Maximum allowable lot coverage by impervious material. Usually expressed as a percentage.

Just google "great room" house plans.............you'll get numerous website returns. Pick a website and then do an advanced search for style elements you prefer.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
OKAY GANG. WHO CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD SITES FOR LOOKING AT HOME PLANS. WE HAVE A GOLF COURSE LOT IN OCEAN RIDGE PLANTATION BUT BECAUSE WE HAVE A POND IN THE BACK, WE HAVE A LOT OF RULES TO CONSIDER. WE WANT A: GREAT ROOM/THIRD GARAGE BAY FOR A WOODWORKING SHOP; NO DINING ROOM! WE WANT A TYPE OF LARGER KITCHEN TABLE IN THE KITCHEN AREA INSTEAD. OUR PROBLEM IS THAT WE HAVE A BUILDING ENVELOPE BECAUSE ORP WANTS 'SIDE ENTRANCE GARAGES' OF 56 WIDE BY 60 DEEP BECAUSE OF THE POND, ETC. HELP!

ORP (as with other communities and municipalities) establish boundaries (setbacks) for building perimeters (or footprints)- if the three car garage you desire does not fit within the 60 foot allowable depth (which seems odd as 30 to 40 feet should easily accommodate such a garage) then your options appear to include making one of the garages deeper or dedicate space in the house for the workshop, either of which will steal square footage from the house. However, the first step to designing your new home is to get a survey of the lot that establishes property lines, setbacks, and locations of trees, and utilities. While studying house plan books or web sites may give you an idea as to the style and general layout you prefer, these sources generally offer little more as their images are generic and not specific to your site or needs.

It is a good idea that you engage a residential architect or certified professional building designer, once you have your survey, to turn your dream into reality, a reality that is specific to your site.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
One option is to keep the garage at two bays wide with the shop behind the first bay. Are you OK with a two-story house? Could you plan for an elevator?

The larger kitchen/dining area you want is often called a keeping room, and some of the building plan sites let you specify that. EPlans is a good site, but it only came up with 7 plans with your envelope and garage requirements. They were 2 or 3 stories for 2000+ square feet.

Then, the Logan Homes Pawley II might work if the site allows room enough for the driveway to the side garage and for extending the third bay out front. Example here, but turn the garage for a side entry and add a third bay: http://www.loganhomes.com/pawley-ii-floorplan If there is not enough room for the driveway, then you have to look for an L-shaped plan, and you might have to go with a custom plan.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-10-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Then, the Logan Homes Pawley II might work
Sorry, that one is too long. Their Elderberry II might work if you omit the formal dining room and turn it into a woodshop. Then enlarge the casual dining area: http://www.loganhomes.com/elderberry-ii-2-floorplan Logan says they do modifications, but I understand you wanted a ventilation or dust collection system for the shop. I do not know whether Logan would handle that specialized requirement.

Unfortunately, with the footprint size, you have to put secondary bedrooms upstairs. I assumed you would want the master on the ground floor.

Also, I agree with JerseyJ that you need the survey before you talk to a builder. We have a side-loading garage, and I know the driveway requires enough space additional for you to turn the car.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
May have to go with the "courtyard" layout.....side entry is in front of the house.........so your turning pad is the front yard. I don't care much for them, but there are a number of resales at ORP in that style.

At least there's not as much grass to water and mow!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sorry, that one is too long. Their Elderberry II might work if you omit the formal dining room and turn it into a woodshop. Then enlarge the casual dining area: http://www.loganhomes.com/elderberry-ii-2-floorplan Logan says they do modifications, but I understand you wanted a ventilation or dust collection system for the shop. I do not know whether Logan would handle that specialized requirement.

Unfortunately, with the footprint size, you have to put secondary bedrooms upstairs. I assumed you would want the master on the ground floor.

Also, I agree with JerseyJ that you need the survey before you talk to a builder. We have a side-loading garage, and I know the driveway requires enough space additional for you to turn the car.
Just rec'd our site plan from the architect in the mail today. It is the topographical survey which shows the trees, potential footprint of the house, etc. When hubby comes home, I will have him explain it to me as I am not good at reading these things....I know we need the garage to be going in like a 'k' turn because ORP does not allow front loading garage openings. I figure our home, including the width for the garage is 70x70 but that must include the garage footprint (I need a third bay for workshop) plus I need 3 bedrooms/3.5 bath if possible/keeping room/no dining room. great room. I need the depth of the house to be under 55 feet deep (two story is fine) as I want a small patio party pool 9 feet by 15 feet inserted somewhere inside . We back up to a pond from a golfcourse so we have a set back problem. It will be a custom home I am sure. We are talking to a builder now and as we get closer to building (3 years) we will start giving him our ideas.....I wanted a pond view - but it's a shame we are a 'golf course pond' because they want more buffer between our back yard and the course; understandable, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: