Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM

288 posts, read 414,620 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.
Are there any good flea markets, antique shows, auctions etc. within a 1 hour radius of Wilmington? (or further if they are really good).

Seems like there isn't much for good flea markets.
I've previewed a couple "Orange Auction" auctions and they were pretty dismal.

I love buying vintage and antiques, and there seemed to be a lot more of it up North (which I assumed). Would just love to find some good places to go down here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,001,154 times
Phooey.

I've had better luck in Tidewater region of Virginia.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
I love buying vintage and antiques, and there seemed to be a lot more of it up North (which I assumed). Would just love to find some good places to go down here.
I haven't seen any real antique stores in the three years I have been here. The best prospect was an estate sale on Craigslist. You might check the consignment shops in Wilmington. Otherwise, I would suggest heading for Raleigh.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 AM

288 posts, read 414,620 times
That's really unfortunate :/
I lived in a city only half the size of Wilmington and there were dozens of high end antique auctions, flea markets, etc.
You'd think with so many tourists it would be a hotspot...

Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
....Are there any good flea markets, antique shows, auctions etc. within a 1 hour radius of Wilmington? (or further if they are really good)....
I should have mentioned the Ivy Cottage, which is really three buildings at 3020, 3030 and 3100 Market Street. Much of it seems "used furniture" rather than antiques., but here's their web site: New Arrivals | The Ivy Cottage

You have to realize that much of coastal NC was poor farming country before the tourists and retirees started arriving. The genuinely old families of Wilmington probably still have their good furniture. So there aren't many good antiques available to the market. Further, people furnishing beach cottages will buy new "coastal-inspired" things. It's not the same kind of market for antiques you find in Pennsylvania.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 AM

300 posts, read 477,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I should have mentioned the Ivy Cottage, which is really three buildings at 3020, 3030 and 3100 Market Street. Much of it seems "used furniture" rather than antiques., but here's their web site: New Arrivals | The Ivy Cottage

You have to realize that much of coastal NC was poor farming country before the tourists and retirees started arriving. The genuinely old families of Wilmington probably still have their good furniture. So there aren't many good antiques available to the market. Further, people furnishing beach cottages will buy new "coastal-inspired" things. It's not the same kind of market for antiques you find in Pennsylvania.
Thanks for the link! Do you have anymore suggestions for locations for used upscale furniture?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Thanks for the link! Do you have anymore suggestions for locations for used upscale furniture?
There's a place in Hampstead near the Sawmill Grill. I'd been inside, and it is worth a look. It is Classic and Casual Consignments at 15919 U.S. 17
Hampstead, NC. Phone: (910) 270-0442.

There are also several places in Southport under "antique mall" in the online yellow pages. I haven't been to any, but they might be worth a look in the off-season.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:48 AM

76 posts, read 366,227 times
What about the antique shops in the Castle st. area? There are estate sales, if you are looking for bargains. I can't remember names, but there are 2 auction companies in Shallotte that do them.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 AM

123 posts, read 523,610 times
There is a newly opened antique store in downtown Goldsboro...Towne Antiques a nicely restored building with some really interesting pieces on Center Street.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Home Again Fine Consignments on Military Cutoff Road. They have a FB page showing showroom samples from High Point. Leather Couches and chairs, pub tables in contemporary styles. A few painted traditional pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina