Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 29,329 times

Advertisements

Hey North Carolina, Recently came back from my first visit to your beautiful state and of course, fell in love. My husband and I are retiring in a couple of years and looking for a new area to live out the rest of our lives. The first half was spent in Michigan, the middle in Colorado (too dry for me... lol ), and want to spent the rest near the beach.... our FAVORITE place in the world. Wondering if anyone knows of 55 and over condos/townhomes near the coast. Nothing fancy...just a place with people our age. Open to different areas. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamrairigh View Post
Wondering if anyone knows of 55 and over condos/townhomes near the coast. Nothing fancy...just a place with people our age. Open to different areas. Thanks for your help.
I only know of 2 places that are specifically age-restricted to 55+ : The Villages at Swansboro which are stand-alone houses owned as condominiums, and the Jensen mobile home community in Hampstead.

However there are dozens of places that are not age restricted but are suitable for retired people. Just a few examples: Summerlin Falls in Wilmington, the South Harbour Village townhouses off Fish Factory Road in Southport and the golf condos in St James, Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest.

If you could be more specific about your price range and the amenities you want, them people can be more helpful. Also see this similar thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...55-living.html

Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks goldenage1. We will be on a limited budget. $100k and under would be best for us and all we really need is a pool. Plan to spent most of the time at the beach. I'm not sure if there are places available in our price range....keeping my fingers crossed. I've been to the Jensen web site and they look nice. Don't know about the cost to live there though. Will check out the places you've mentioned. Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks goldenage1. We will be on a limited budget. $100k and under would be best for us and all we really need is a pool. Plan to spent most of the time at the beach. I'm not sure if there are places available in our price range....keeping my fingers crossed.
I like the look of condos at Brickyard Landing in Ocean Isle Beach: $96K for 2 bedrooms: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...97-29800?row=1

Many of the other golf communities between Southport and Shalotte have "golf villas" in that price range. You may have to have a social membership in the golf club to use the pool.

Wilmington also has some in that price range, but avoid the places around the college if you don't want to deal with student parties.

You could also check out Delaware, Florida and South Carolina if you really want an age-restricted community. They have more than NC does.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You could also check out Delaware, Florida and South Carolina if you really want an age-restricted community. They have more than NC does.
I also like Murrells Inlet, SC. This place is not age-restricted, but it is on a golf course, has a pool, and you could take a golf-cart to go grocery shopping. This is a first floor unit, but there are others in the area: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...57-56438?row=6

MI also has some age-restricted mobile home communities. Look for one where you own the land rather than paying lot rent.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 AM

I like Murrells Inlet too. That condo is beautiful. I'm going to see if hey have their own website. Murrells Inlet does have mobile home communities that we are interested in. Why do you think it's better to own the land than rent? I realize they raise your lot fee every year somewhat, but then my minimal property tax would be included in that and I think home owners insurance might be less...don't know for sure. Lots of think to think about. Thanks so much for all you help goldenage1 !!!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Why do you think it's better to own the land than rent? I realize they raise your lot fee every year somewhat, but then my minimal property tax would be included in that and I think home owners insurance might be less...don't know for sure.
I don't know exactly what the lot rent would be in the Jensens community in Murrells Inlet. If it is $300-350, it might be worth it, but if the monthly fees are $500-600, I don't think it is worth it.

If you want to save money, owning the lot and handling the maintenance yourself would work. But you might not have the sense of community to share with other residents. It's a choice worth thinking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina