Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
not sure i understand why someplace has to be "liberal" in order to be an option....why can't a person decide where to reside and then 'live and let live' and just be a good neighbor with those around them and keep politics and religion and sexuality and all that crap out of the conversation? .
You can, but if an area is overwhelmingly the opposite the municipal government will reflect that, and services will as well...and let's be honest...is the cookout at your neighbor's house all that fun when most of those present are talking about O'Bummer?

My neighborhood in Wilmington was a nice mix but probably a little more left-leaning, but I had some really nice conservative neighbors as well. It can be completely fine. If you approach knowing there are some things you probably just can't discuss because once you open that door, it can lead to hard feelings.

On the other hand, I went to a cookout that was a benefit for a coastal environmental thing, hosted by someone active in the tea party, and it basically became a tea party rally (which seemed at odds to the subject of the benefit).

I personally don't want to live somewhere where everyone is the same, but as I'm quite the social liberal I don't want my town government represented by people who cut benefits to those in need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is the deal. Liberal areas tend to think that the "state" knows better than the individual. Therefore they want to provide more and more services, which in turn cost more and more taxes which in turn makes everything more expensive.
That's FISCAL liberals, but social liberals are the opposite--they believe people should have rights to do things with their own bodies such as have abortions, or to marry the person they love regardless of gender--the conservatives, despite all of their "small govt" talk, believe the government should have the right to trump people's liberties in these areas.

NC is seeing a lot of new laws right now that involve social conservative = MORE government, right now.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 AM

7 posts, read 13,296 times
Default great!!!

[quote=Booger Branch Betty;35889597]Oriental NC--very small coastal mostly sailing and boating community with some arty funky elements to it, lots of weekenders from Raleigh thus pretty liberal. So liberal in fact that I am considering NOT retiring to the house we built there....despite the fact that we really love it otherwise.[/QUOTE. I was looking at that area, seemed really nice until now. I guess ill have to look for a more conservative area.]

Old 08-09-2014, 08:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
[quote=cheez755;36009331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Oriental NC--very small coastal mostly sailing and boating community with some arty funky elements to it, lots of weekenders from Raleigh thus pretty liberal. So liberal in fact that I am considering NOT retiring to the house we built there....despite the fact that we really love it otherwise.[/QUOTE. I was looking at that area, seemed really nice until now. I guess ill have to look for a more conservative area.]
Most of the locals have escaped to the Minnesott Beach area. In the county, Oriental is a bit of a joke!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 AM

149 posts, read 165,310 times
[quote=LLN;36010054]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez755 View Post

Most of the locals have escaped to the Minnesott Beach area. In the county, Oriental is a bit of a joke!
I'd love your take on other areas in Pamilco. We are very much enjoying the convenience of our house in Oriental as a weekend house...walk or bike to Town and Country and restaurants, boat "in " the backyard--1/2 acre, 120 ft of bulkhead on Whittaker Creek. And we really do like the people, liberal and conservative alike. However, at our main home we are on four acres and love having our horses in our front yard and we love the privacy. If we tried to find the perfect private location for retirement, where we could have waterfront for our boat and land for our horses, where do you think we should we look? And won't mosquitoes be a big problem outside of town as well as services that we'd like to have nearby as we become more decrepit?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
If we tried to find the perfect private location for retirement, where we could have waterfront for our boat and land for our horses, where do you think we should we look? And won't mosquitoes be a big problem outside of town as well as services that we'd like to have nearby as we become more decrepit?
I have seen properties with several acres like that along the north side of the Neuse River, perhaps with a Minnesott Beach address. However, you would have to spray the property for mosquitoes at your own cost. The grocery store is further away, and you are a long way from medical services. It would not be my choice of a retirement place, but perhaps you could make it work.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM

104 posts, read 148,478 times
My two centavos. I've been looking at New Bern and Oriental as places I would like to move to. I live with my woman friend and we both enjoy sailing and kayaking as well as other maritime recreations. Currently we live on the north shore of Long Island, NY near Oyster Bay, (Teddy Roosevelt's home and grave). There are so many reasons to escape from this place--not the least of which is the harsh winters, snow shoveling, etc. The main reason I want to leave is the aggressive and abrasive attitude of a majority of the residents. I like the south because it is more laid back and people in general are nicer.
I don't wear a big button declaring my political beliefs. It is my private business how I vote, what my religious philosophy is, and what sit-coms I watch on TV. I feel that the members of a community I live in have the same right to privacy. I don't care if they love or hate Obama, have posters of Ted Kennedy, Al Sharpton, Linsey Graham, Ted Cruz or whoever on their living room walls. What I DO care about is that my neighbors show kindness and are gentlemen and ladies who can interact with eachother without rancor or malice--you know--polite people. I read neither the Communist Manefesto nor Atlas Shrugged as I sail my little O'day. My kayak is apolitical. When friends visit for a BBQ we talk about what ever we like, but never to the point of becoming offensive or judgmental. Many of my friends hold polar opposite opinions but we enjoy our differences. It is not necessary to be either a Liberal or Conservative to qualify as a decent human being.
Al Mabari

Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
My two centavos. I've been looking at New Bern and Oriental as places I would like to move to. I live with my woman friend and we both enjoy sailing and kayaking as well as other maritime recreations. Currently we live on the north shore of Long Island, NY near Oyster Bay, (Teddy Roosevelt's home and grave). There are so many reasons to escape from this place--not the least of which is the harsh winters, snow shoveling, etc. The main reason I want to leave is the aggressive and abrasive attitude of a majority of the residents. I like the south because it is more laid back and people in general are nicer.
I don't wear a big button declaring my political beliefs. It is my private business how I vote, what my religious philosophy is, and what sit-coms I watch on TV. I feel that the members of a community I live in have the same right to privacy. I don't care if they love or hate Obama, have posters of Ted Kennedy, Al Sharpton, Linsey Graham, Ted Cruz or whoever on their living room walls. What I DO care about is that my neighbors show kindness and are gentlemen and ladies who can interact with eachother without rancor or malice--you know--polite people. I read neither the Communist Manefesto nor Atlas Shrugged as I sail my little O'day. My kayak is apolitical. When friends visit for a BBQ we talk about what ever we like, but never to the point of becoming offensive or judgmental. Many of my friends hold polar opposite opinions but we enjoy our differences. It is not necessary to be either a Liberal or Conservative to qualify as a decent human being.
Al Mabari
I live in New Bern and the locals are generally nicer. Keep in mind that those same aggressive, abrasive, and loud folks you just mentioned have been moving to NC for years. In fact, most of my neighbors are from "up north". But yes, it's definitely more laid back here. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I live in New Bern and the locals are generally nicer. Keep in mind that those same aggressive, abrasive, and loud folks you just mentioned have been moving to NC for years. !
To say the least!! Yeah, if you hate "rude New Yorkers", you're certainly not going to get away from them in NC, the way they are swarming here by the tens of thousands!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:35 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Seriously, I though picking a place to live based on politics and religion went out with the pilgrims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina