Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,578 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am active duty military, moving to the Jacksonville area around October 1st and will need a rental house at that time. First I have some questions...

The most pressing matter for me is my wife's credit. She unfortunately suffered a job loss a couple years back (before we married). As a result of her loss of income, she had defaulted on some payments of credit cards and other bills. Will my wife need to "qualify" for the rental house we move into, or will my good credit and guaranteed military income be sufficient to secure a rental home?

Background checks not an issue for either of us, as we both are free from any felony convictions - it's been years since either of us even had a traffic infraction. It's really a matter of her poor credit that keeps us on our toes. Apartments don't seem to mind, I'm hoping it works the same way with rental houses. Could y'all clarify this for me? We appreciate your help.

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 AM

13,385 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRouze View Post
It's really a matter of her poor credit that keeps us on our toes. Apartments don't seem to mind, I'm hoping it works the same way with rental houses. Could y'all clarify this for me?
I live in Sneads Ferry where most of the houses offered for rent are done by individuals. So, I don't think there is any general policy, and it is up to the owner. If your salary is sufficient to cover the rent on the house, I don't think your wife's credit will matter. Many local houses are listed in MilitaryByOwner.com . Rents are in the range of $950 to $1550 or more/per month, with examples here: http://www.militarybyowner.com/real_...=NC&F_Base=189

As I understand, the base housing is not a bad option either.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM

We definitely don't want base housing... we want to live outside of base for a variety of reasons, so we are looking in the Topsail/Holly Ridge/Sneads Ferry area. I have looked at that site and many others, it seemed like all the houses we was interested in were being offered by realty companies as opposed to actual individual owners. I might need to further investigate...

Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 PM

13,385 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRouze View Post
We definitely don't want base housing... we want to live outside of base for a variety of reasons, so we are looking in the Topsail/Holly Ridge/Sneads Ferry area. I have looked at that site and many others, it seemed like all the houses we was interested in were being offered by realty companies as opposed to actual individual owners. I might need to further investigate...
We live in Mimosa Bay where the rents range from $1600 to $2000. If that's in your range, I can keep an eye open for you, as we have some homeowner forums. You can send me a DM if you prefer. We have about 80% military families, and lots of kids in the neighborhood.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Much appreciated however that's a tad high for us - if I'm paying more than 1,100 a month, I want to own. I've found several fairly updated homes for under $1,000 so far, but wasn't sure how the rental process goes with homes. I guess I need to make some calls.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 AM

35 posts, read 59,783 times
I lived in Jacksonville, NC from 1999-2001 as a kid, I lived on base at Marine Corps Air Station and then off base. Jacksonville, NC has some beautiful houses, however, living on base ain't that bad, at least from what I remember. My comment is irrelevant but your thread brought some memories. Hopefully y'all make awesome new memories there. Good luck in your search and your experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina