Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 9,613 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid back in the 80s/ 90s I saw a bunch of sea turtles at an aquarium near the coast. I thought it was the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher, but I might be wrong. We have been there a couple of times in recent years and I think they just keep some hatchlings.

Are there any aquariums/ museums near the coast where you can see full grown turtles up close? I know that it would be rare since they would have had to be rescued, injured, etc. due to various laws...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzie View Post
Are there any aquariums/ museums near the coast where you can see full grown turtles up close? I know that it would be rare since they would have had to be rescued, injured, etc. due to various laws...
Try this turtle hospital at Topsail island: Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center; A Sea Turtle Hospital on Topsail Island, NC

BTW, a friend sits at a turtle nest on the beach, and she reported watching a hatching last night. So there are groups fighting to protect the turtles.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:29 AM

99 posts, read 244,154 times
Default Sea Turtles

Thank you Dizzie and goldenage1, great post.

I'd like to do some volunteer work helping to protect the turtles, when we move to NC. We have a contract on our house in RI, our lot in WRP was recently cleared and we have a 6 month lease on a condo in WRP.

Thank you for your input. If you have other info regarding doing volunteer work for the turtles please let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
I'd like to do some volunteer work helping to protect the turtles, when we move to NC. We have a contract on our house in RI, our lot in WRP was recently cleared and we have a 6 month lease on a condo in WRP.

Thank you for your input. If you have other info regarding doing volunteer work for the turtles please let me know. Thanks.
There are also programs closer to your new place in Brunswick County:

Holden Beach: Holden Beach Turtle Watch Program - Save the Sea Turtles: Loggerhead Turtle, Leatherback Turtle
Oak Island: Wild Nights - Sea Turtle Nesting on Oak Island - Oak Island, NC - South Brunswick Magazine - Life in Southern Brunswick County, NC
and Ocean Isle Beach: Brunswick County | Ocean Isle Beach Sea Turtle Protection Organization

Winding River Plantation is apparently closest to Holden Beach, but I hope you find a volunteer program you enjoy. They also can use educators and fund raisers as well as nest-sitters.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM

99 posts, read 244,154 times
Default Sea Turtles

Thank you goldenage1. Very helpful info.

The beach house for WRP is on Holden beach so that is probably a good place for me to start.

Fund raising might be a good fit and nest sitting sounds like it might be interesting. Thank you for helping me to get started.

I remember the excitement my boys experienced, when they were very young and we happened to be in FL to watch the turtles during nesting season. On several occasions they had a front row seat while Momma turtle laid her eggs.

Thank you.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,613 times
Wow - awesome suggestion, thanks! We'll try to stop by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina