Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:08 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times

Advertisements

My apologies for bringing up an old thread. But if they are to eventually bring inter-city rail back to Wilmington, wouldn't they have to upgrade between Wilmington and Goldsboro via Warsaw or Wilmington and Goldsboro via Jacksonville?

I once read on a transportation blog that a guy suggested a Raleigh/Goldsboro/Jacksonville/Wilmington route in addition to a spur route from Rocky Mount to Greenville. Here is the map that I am referring to:

The Southern Environmental Law Center also suggested intercity rail routes for the following areas:
  • Charlotte to Wilmington
  • Selma/Goldsboro/Wilmington
  • Raleigh/Goldsboro/Jacksonville/Wilmington
  • Raleigh/Rocky Mount/Greenville/Washington
Here is their map:

Thoughts of any of those proposed routes? Despite being similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 11:45 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I just don't see the demand for high-speed rail happening any time soon. The coastal area is thinly populated and very car dependent. (I have friends who might go to Washington once a year. They drive from Jacksonville to Wilson, park the car and take Amtrak to DC.)

I live near where the old rail line used to run between Wilmington and Jacksonville. It would take a lot of work and money to make the rail-beds able to support a train running 70 miles an hour.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
The most important Wilmington rail line is to Charlotte.,,but its not passenger service. Amtrak had bus service to the NY-Florida line in Wilson...to be honest it probably makes more sense that running rail.

I think if Wilmington ever gets rail its because Charlotte or Raleigh have pushed for it in state as a way to get to the beach.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I just don't see the demand for high-speed rail happening any time soon. The coastal area is thinly populated and very car dependent. (I have friends who might go to Washington once a year. They drive from Jacksonville to Wilson, park the car and take Amtrak to DC.)
Mind you, I did specify those non-HSR routes.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
My apologies for bringing up an old thread. But if they are to eventually bring inter-city rail back to Wilmington, wouldn't they have to upgrade between Wilmington and Goldsboro via Warsaw or Wilmington and Goldsboro via Jacksonville?

I once read on a transportation blog that a guy suggested a Raleigh/Goldsboro/Jacksonville/Wilmington route in addition to a spur route from Rocky Mount to Greenville. Here is the map that I am referring to:

The Southern Environmental Law Center also suggested intercity rail routes for the following areas:
  • Charlotte to Wilmington
  • Selma/Goldsboro/Wilmington
  • Raleigh/Goldsboro/Jacksonville/Wilmington
  • Raleigh/Rocky Mount/Greenville/Washington
Here is their map:

I don't see EVER a Raleigh-Goldsboro-Jacksonville-Wilmington occurring. Using Warsaw isn't much better. I could see a Charlotte to Wilmington. But nothing really directly from Raleigh. We are about 100 years too late to put down new tracks.

The Raleigh to Greenville, via Rocky Mount makes ZERO sense. I will assume the authors meant via Wilson, which does. I think a Friday and Sunday train would do well. There are a lot of people from the Triangle, who live in Greenville for one reason or another.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
It should be noted that there is a very good Interstate between Raleigh and Wilmington...THAT, IMO is what makes it not likely to have rail.

However, the Charlotte to Wilmington trip is a headache...its getting better, but it will be awhile before it actually is good.
That is why I could see that happening, well that and the fact that the rail line in downtown Matthews that goes to downtown Charlotte actually goes through Pembroke (the transfer station) and to Wilmington. That and the fact that Wilmington is largest port in NC.

But the politicians of NC have to stop being concerned with Raleigh...all they worry about in Raleigh is their QOL...and god forbid if Charlotte residents have passenger rail access to Wilmington and the beach before they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina