Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 AM

10 posts, read 9,597 times

Advertisements

My grandparents have a house outside of Wrightsville, and my family will soon be gathering there for our annual summer vacation.

I'd like to venture out one day for a day trip to the aquarium at Ft Fisher and to ride the ferry to Southport for lunch and shopping. I think my seven-year-old would really enjoy it.

What's the best schedule for this trip, do you think? Aquarium, ferry, then Southport? Or vice versa? Should I take my car on the ferry to SP? Can you walk to downtown? Suggestions for restaurants and shops?

Also thinking about tacking on a visit to Battleship NC in Wilmington. Do you think we could fit all of that in?

Thanks so much!

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:40 AM

8,391 posts, read 4,386,070 times
Downtown Southport is a bit far to walk from the ferry dock, especially with younger/older family members in hot weather.

The Battleship is a great place to visit, so is the aquarium. I would double check the hours of operation and ferry schedules but you could potentially do the aquarium in the morning (get an early start, plan on a couple of hours, hours 9 to 5), ferry over to Southport, eat downtown, visit a few shops (the kids will love Bullfrog Corner), then visit the Battleship later in the afternoon (hours are 8 to 8), (allow probably 2-3 hours). Ferry schedule is every 45 minutes from Ft Fisher to Southport at 1130, 1215, 1300, 1345.

It would take some planning and be a full day but I think you could do it.

Hit the aquarium at 9, plan on a 1215 or 1300 ferry, lunch and walk around Southport, visit the battle ship about 1530 - snack ... have dinner .. done

Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 AM

61 posts, read 75,712 times
eat at the Provision Company in Southport.

it is a grill located right on the harbor. they have a covered patio and get a nice breeze off the water. there is a dock for boats right there by the patio. it has this jimmy buffet type vibe

Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,392,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Downtown Southport is a bit far to walk from the ferry dock, especially with younger/older family members in hot weather.

The Battleship is a great place to visit, so is the aquarium. I would double check the hours of operation and ferry schedules but you could potentially do the aquarium in the morning (get an early start, plan on a couple of hours, hours 9 to 5), ferry over to Southport, eat downtown, visit a few shops (the kids will love Bullfrog Corner), then visit the Battleship later in the afternoon (hours are 8 to 8), (allow probably 2-3 hours). Ferry schedule is every 45 minutes from Ft Fisher to Southport at 1130, 1215, 1300, 1345.

It would take some planning and be a full day but I think you could do it.

Hit the aquarium at 9, plan on a 1215 or 1300 ferry, lunch and walk around Southport, visit the battle ship about 1530 - snack ... have dinner .. done
I second this itinerary. And you can't walk from the ferry to Southport, its close to 2 miles. When you leave S'port to go to the Battleship, don't get back on the ferry; instead, drive up to Wilmington via River Road (Hwy. 133) and Hwy 74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina