Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:43 PM

129 posts, read 150,765 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a newbie to this site. I am desperately hoping to get out of the brown, hot desert in Phoenix. 6 years is long enough. My husband and I are originally from NJ. We left to escape the high cost of living, taxes, home prices and crappy weather. Though we really miss the beach, history, culture, variety of food and neighborhoods that are older than I am (29). We want out of the cookie cutter neighborhoods here where people come and go every year (very transient area). We want our children to go to great schools in neighborhoods where children play outside and grow up together. My husband works for Coca Cola in sales, so we are looking at areas with Coke plants nearby for a hopeful transfer. I own my own printable design shop on Etsy, so I can go anywhere there is wifi.

If you could so graciously give me a bit more relative input other than what Google gives me on the Wilmington area, pretty please. Below is our criteria.

-We are hoping to be close to the beach less than 45 min away.
-Home prices no more than $160k, for 3b2b <1400sqft, not a fixer upper.
-Taxes no more than $1200 a year
-great school districts (we have a 3 yr old and baby)
-family neighborhood with mature trees and kids that play together outside.
- a bonus would be an area close by that has some downtown walking, shops, restaurants, etc
-family/kids things to do around
- not too much of a "southern/country" vibe, would be nice to be around transplant North Easter's for a change

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:50 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
-Home prices no more than $160k, for 3b2b <1400sqft, not a fixer upper.
-Taxes no more than $1200 a year
-great school districts (we have a 3 yr old and baby)
-family neighborhood with mature trees and kids that play together outside.
I will suggest the Pine Valley and Ogden areas of Wilmington. However, I do not know if the tax limit is realistic. I also believe you may have to go with a "fixer-upper" for that price.

The school districts are acceptable, but I won't use the term "great". There are supposed to be many transplants in Wilmington, but I still think it has a Southern feel.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:51 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,390,928 times
I think great schools, within 45 minutes of the beach and $160,000 are mutually exclusive, unfortunately. The Hampstead and Topsail areas might be possible, hopefully Goldenage will chime in, as she has a stronger knowledge of home prices there than I.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I think great schools, within 45 minutes of the beach and $160,000 are mutually exclusive, unfortunately. The Hampstead and Topsail areas might be possible, hopefully Goldenage will chime in, as she has a stronger knowledge of home prices there than I.
Yes, Hampstead and Topsail will have homes in that range, but probably also "fixer-uppers". I don't know the Pender County tax rates off the top of my head, but $1200/year might be do-able. The elementary schools rate well, and the older neighborhoods like Olde Pointe have mature trees.

I just found the Coke plant is in Leland, over by Compass Pointe. The commute from Hampstead would be a long haul. The family might find some affordable communities like Windsor Park in Leland, but not mature trees. I also suggest the older parts of Belville for a decent elementary school.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:58 PM

Thank you for your replies! It is a bit overwhelming to think about moving across country again. We did it once but we were in our early twenties, no jobs but with family in AZ.

Any other suggestions for a mild climate (no snow, cooler winters are okay) near the coast that is affordable $150-$170k range with a good school district?

Our other thought was Tampa, FL. Though I'm not sure I am ready to take on that humidity year round.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Any other suggestions for a mild climate (no snow, cooler winters are okay) near the coast that is affordable $150-$170k range with a good school district?
FYI- we have an inch or less of snow in coastal NC about every other year.

You might also look at the Carolina Forest area of Myrtle Beach and Summerville outside of Charleston.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM

I can deal with an inch, just not feet

Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM

353 posts, read 605,486 times
You want to move to the south, but you don't want a "southern vibe"? I think you need to move to Florida.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,869,669 times
The Lincoln Forest area is right next to the mall and would seem to fit your criteria, although you may have to go up to about 175K or so. Alderman Elementary is a negative because many in the adjacent neighborhood put their kids in private schools and its so small it just doesn't rate well with whats left. But the Middle and High Schools are great.

The aforementioned Pine Valley area...but for that price range you have to hit the older section off Pine Valley Drive off of Shipyard. Its doable...and PV Elem is much better than Alderman. Midtown area is doing well...residential construction is well underway and there have a been a number of new commercial projects in the last 5 years.

The biggest issue would be taxes, because its in the city...but then again you will save a ton on gas because everything is close by...especially as compared to living in Pender County.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Look into Brunswick County, NC. Miles and miles of beach. Its within 30 minutes of Wilmington NC and Myrtle Beach, SC but you avoid all the hustle and bustle and prices are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina