Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 AM

26 posts, read 27,210 times

Advertisements

I am looking for family friendly/quiet beach. So far from my research I have found sunset beach. Any other suggestions? Need one with vacation homes for rent right on the beach. I'll be visiting in late september after the crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:28 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
The NC coast is several hundred miles long, from South Carolina to Virginia. Any geographical preference? Sunset meets your criteria, as does Holden and Ocean Isle. Also Topsail Beach, Emerald Isle, Ocracoke and I'm sure others.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
It may matter where you are coming from. Sunset Beach is convenient from Charlotte, but not New York. Ocean Isle Beach and Topsail are more convenient from the Triangle. The Outer Banks are most convenient from the north.

Do you have wants for restaurants, and other things to do for the kids?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:40 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I believe the cheapest place to get an oceanfront house is Oak Island. Its so long, its pretty quiet.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
I don't know of any beaches here that aren't "family friendly" around here. I prefer a beach that's pretty empty, so I go to wrightsville for week days and topsail on the weekends.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Or you can go to Beaufort, a very pretty town and for a nominal fee, a small ferry will take you out to Shackelford banks. Pretty undeveloped, does have a restroom, wild horses and plenty of room to be alone or nearly so .. that is about as quiet at it gets.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
If the OP has a very small child, Sunset Beach is a good choice for low waves. So far, no shark attacks have been reported there.

As others said, all the beaches are "family-friendly". If the OP had teen-agers, I would suggest the Outer Banks for good surf.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM

26 posts, read 27,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It may matter where you are coming from. Sunset Beach is convenient from Charlotte, but not New York. Ocean Isle Beach and Topsail are more convenient from the Triangle. The Outer Banks are most convenient from the north.

Do you have wants for restaurants, and other things to do for the kids?
I'll be landing in Raleigh. Seafood or vegetarian restaurants if possible. My little one is less than one so he won't be getting into a lot.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
If you're flying into Raleigh and then driving to the beach, I'd do Emerald Isle, or one of the other "Crystal Coast" beaches.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Sunset Beach, one of my faves, actually DOES NOT meet the OP's criteria of "homes right on the beach". There is an extensive dune system at Sunset and no homes are "right on the beach". All homes require a walk along a boardwalk (most with stairs over the dunes) to get to the beach. Check it out on Google Earth and you can see it.

Ocracoke also does not meet the OP's requirement for a home on the beach. All the beach at Ocracoke is National Seashore and there are no homes on the beach at all.

It's a bit late to rent an oceanfront home for summer, but there are probably some available in Sept. Many of them rent a year in advance, though. Folks get the same house year after year.

Flying into Raleigh, Wrightsville is the closest. You might look at Kure Beach, too. Topsail Island with the three towns there North Topsail, Surf City, and Topsail is also close. Emerald Isle is also a good choice. Sunset and Ocean Isle and Holden are about 45 min to an hour south of Wilmington and the beaches there.

Last edited by poppydog; 07-09-2015 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina