Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 10:46 AM

400 posts, read 527,400 times

Advertisements

OK so last year I posted here about the biting midges - flies and the problem that those bites caused.
This year, they haven't been the issue (yet), but I am having another equally and very similar problem and I am hoping there is some prevention or treatment that someone knows about.

My butt, and upper thighs and waist - all sections of me that are under my bathing suit - keep getting covered with these intensely itchy red sores. They are so bad that I am losing sleep - and unlike the biting
midge bites - which seem to heal completely in a few days or a week - these things stay around much longer and I am starting to think they leave permanent scars. A big group from over 2 weeks ago is still looking pretty bad even now. I have no idea if this is the "seabathers eruption"/"pica pica" thing or something else.
Does anyone know what I am talking about and if so - what is it? Is there some trick to either avoiding it or treating it to make it heal better and/or stop itching so much?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
This is after you go in the water? If so, sea lice could be the culprit. I have heard other people complain about them, but I have never had any problem, nor do I know anyone who has, but I have read about people complaining about it at the NC beaches.

If it's not happening when you're swimming it sounds like chiggers. They like places like waistbands, under the edge of your socks, etc. They will last for a long time, too, and are intensely itchy.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:43 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,064 times
Call your Dr. & get an appt. with a Dermatologist. Why would you suffer for 2 wks. without getting it checked out?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,588 times
Cortisone cream helps too.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times
This happened to me one year on the obx. I was in a marshy area, went home showered and discovers lines of bites all over me. The bites were in perfect straight lines. They are chiggers. Nasty little things that love warm areas ie: under your clothing. By the time the itchy shows up they have usually left. They bite your skin, inject something nasty to you that turns that area to mush, then they suck it out. Freaky but true. Not much you can do for it except stay away from marshy spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina