Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 AM

99 posts, read 243,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calldoug98 View Post
My husband and I are planning to retire to NC and will be house hunting soon. There are 3 communities we are considering and would appreciate any pros or cons about each.

Waterford of the Carolinas in Leland

River Landing in Wallace

Winding River Plantation in Bolivia
We went through a selection process probably similar to a lot of folks, over a three year period. We purchased a building lot in Winding River Plantation, built our home and moved in this past February. We selected WRP for all the reasons highlighted by Mr. Purple.

We did not want to be to close to the water but close enough to the beach, our beach house on Holden Beach is wonderful. I have a pickup truck I did not want to park at the house, WRP has a secure coral for storing things like a boat, camper, pickup, etc. WRP also has a very nice community garden, all fenced in and water is provided, I needed to have an area to grow my veggies.

Where ever you look, you might want to consider obtaining a copy of the communities financials, prior to spending much time considering it as a potential future landing zone.

Let us know when you will be in the area, my wife and I will be happy to show in around WRP.

Be well,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
You better consider health care options and ER access. Not a fun topic but it will be a major concern one day.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 23,309 times
Mr. Purple 2 does list some important considerations and I would agree with him. We bought a lot in Winding River in March after looking at many places over a few trips. We stayed at least a couple of days in Landfall, St. James and Brunswick Forest. We also saw more briefly, Ocean Ridge and Porter's Neck. I am not familiar with the other 2 places you mentioned. The sites we visited all have many positive aspects and everyone we met at each one seemed very happy with their choices. But at each place, there was something not quite right for us until we went into WRP and then we had no reservations. We are golfers and like the 27 hole course there very much, but there are many other activities, too. It is big enough without being as huge as SJP and it is financially sound. It is the right balance between too close to congested areas and too isolated. It is very peaceful with tasteful but not extravagant homes that are well laid out in the community. We were visiting during that recent deluge in October but WRP had no issues with flooding, either. We heard our golf course was the only one open from Mrytle Beach to Wilmington. The beach house is great, as is the small community center on the river. Good luck with your search!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:02 PM

213 posts, read 212,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
I went through the some process described by the OP. We made a list of most important factors we were looking for in a new location/home to help with our decision. I would suggest you try this course of action, it might help?

We visited all three sites and all three had their pluses and minuses. We finally setting on buying a resale in WRP. I will not knock the other two places. The reasons we settled on WRP are as follows.55

1. Water; we wanted access to water and WRP is located on the Lockwood Folly River with quick access to the ICW.
2. Water again; we are about 15 minutes from Holden Beach where WRP has a private parking lot with a beach house with a pool on the beach.
3. We don't play much golf and you are not required to join or support the golf course at WRP since it not owned by WRP.
You can join the course if you so desire.
4. Hospital: there is a hospital close by on US 17.
5. We didn't want to be located close to a shopping center because of the potential problems. We are located about 12 miles from Shallotte which has a Belks; Home Depot and Lowes; nice local restaurants and chains; a great bakery; gas stations and Wal Mart; grocery stores and a library. Southport and Oak Island are about 12 miles the other direction, but we mostly avoid it during the "season".
6. WRP is completely developed and the developer is gone. We know the financials and WRP is financially secure. This is very important.
7. There are a lot activities and you can do as much or as little as you desire. Very friendly people and I assume the other locations are the same since most of the residents are transplants.

Email me if you have any questions. Good luck in your search.
WRP sounds great. Not been there but need to put it on our list. Are you still very happy there

Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 PM

301 posts, read 477,523 times
We are still very happy with our choice of WRP. Lovely place with very nice and friendly residents.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,871 times
How did WRP fair last fall with the hurricane? Was there much flooding?

Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 AM

13 posts, read 10,708 times
wondering if any new shopping options built or planned in the WRP area - thanks

Old 03-30-2020, 07:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,647,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnny View Post
wondering if any new shopping options built or planned in the WRP area - thanks
Not really. There is a new shopping center under construction at the corner of 211 and Long Beach Road, but the primary tenants are the existing Lowe's Foods and CVS, which have (CVS) and will (Lowe's) move there from across the road. Most of the rest of the center will be small shop space and small outparcels. No new major tenants.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:21 AM

301 posts, read 477,523 times
There is a new shopping center currently being built in Shallotte about 10 -11 miles from WRP. The center is suppose to have an Ulta; big box anchor and a rumored Aldi. Check out the below link for more details. There is not much shopping toward Southport and traffic can be very busy up 211. Most WRP residents tend to head to Shallotte since there is a Belks; Home Depot and Walmart already located in Shallotte.

https://www.brunswickbeacon.com/cont...jobs-shallotte

Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,064,058 times
The shopping mall is well underway-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wn0...VL2JEixYhUdPl4

Ulta, Ross, Marshalls, Pet Smart, Hobby Lobby, Rack Room.

But SHHHH don't tell anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina