Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times

Advertisements

I think you have received some good advice on jobs. Make sure you scope out the cost of living, too. MHC is more expensive than I anticipated.

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,345 times
Thank you for your replies. My husband does highway. bridge and commercial construction and has over 20 years experience in the trade. We have also not ruled out the option of him changing jobs (to something less stressful) whether it be full time or seasonal. Is commercial construction fairly steady in the area? How would one go about getting information on construction jobs with the government on one of the bases?

Last edited by somerset5; 05-04-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: forgot a question

Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM

148 posts, read 611,178 times
For a Federal position, got to usajobs.gov it is a website of OPM and the place to look at all or most federal government jobs...Do a search on jobs for all NC and you will see a list of them...Some on the list are just jobs that are 'open continuously', and that means you place your resume to that job, but they are NOT hiring for that job at present, but may in the future...Look for the ones that are listed as 'open to all US citizens'...

Also, some of the big contractors are Brown and Rhue(?), check with them...If you have anymore questions just message me....

Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 12,091 times
The Employment Security Commission of NC website has a job bank as well as several links for government jobs. Best of luck to you...if I can help, please let me know. ESC NC Individual Services: Job Search

Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset5 View Post
Thank you for your replies. My husband does highway. bridge and commercial construction and has over 20 years experience in the trade. We have also not ruled out the option of him changing jobs (to something less stressful) whether it be full time or seasonal. Is commercial construction fairly steady in the area? How would one go about getting information on construction jobs with the government on one of the bases?

NC is known as the good roads state. I swear sometines it seems like once they pave all the orads, they just start over and do it all over again. construction and road work is always good, but with the current economy, alot of peopel aren't leaving jobs so I can't comment on the availability of construction or road work

Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,345 times
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Construction work is always up and down. The last couple of years have been good, he has been working on coal fired power plants. We aren't ruling out a job change for him, just not sure what would be best thing to do yet. It's frustrating because we are so ready for the move, it will put us closer to family. Out of curiosity, does anyone have an opinion on the schools in Swansboro?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:30 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset5 View Post
We are also considering a move to the MC, Beaufort area. We have visited the area on vacation several times and love the small town atmosphere. I have a question about employment though. I am a new RN and my husband is a construction superintendent. Could anyone give us an idea about how difficult it would be to find jobs.
My wife and I loved Morehead City/Beaufort,and we're going back again this year. We may not come back home this year though. It's that nice!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I think you have received some good advice on jobs. Make sure you scope out the cost of living, too. MHC is more expensive than I anticipated.

lln

The only place more expensive than the Crystal Coast is the Wilmington area to the south.

The military gets a higher housing allowance if you live in Craven/Carteret County, to include Swansboro, than the rest of the state with the exception of Wilmington. Also, the per diem rate is higher in Carteret County in the summer months than everywhere save wilmington.

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)
Per Diem Rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina