Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 249,699 times

Advertisements

Within the year, my cousin and I would like to make a move to either the east coast or the west coast. Currently we live in Wisconsin. Right now, our top two choices are Wilmington for the east coast, or San Diego for the west coast. I know these are two very different places, but both have qualities that we like. Right now, I'm leaning towards Wilmington.

Being from the midwest, I don't have a lot of inside info of Wilmington, other than what I've heard from friends who've visited. I've read some of the other threads, but would like to know more in-depth details. What is the average cost of renting in Wilmington? Are the colleges good? How diverse is the culture as well as the people? How are the beaches in Wilmington? Are they clean, sandy, busy, etc. I've heard theres more rocky beaches than sandy ones. Remember, I'm a college student who was born and raised in the midwest. Do you think I'd like it in NC?

I would appreciate any opinions or info. Anything you'd like to add..you don't have to answer those specific questions, just ANY useful info/tips/advice/insight. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM

324 posts, read 1,527,891 times
I used to live in WI also and like down here much much better

Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 249,699 times
That's good to hear! Thanks.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 25,428 times
My household consists of 2 Minnesotans and 1 Cheesehead. We live about 40 minutes north of Wilmington, but venture there quite often. It's a great place and we have frequent visitors from the "Frozen Tundra" who definitely enjoy their time here. I wasn't able to make it to MN for Christmas this year and ended up on the beach. I was in some shorts and a long sleeve shirt, laying on a blanket. I miss the snow and all, but can't argue with some fun in the sun during the end of December! Go Vikings!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,686 times
I am a military retiree, I have two kids, one of them will be attending his last year of high school. My wife will be working downtown Wilmington, we will be relocating from Fayetteville NC in the summer. We are looking at property between $325000 to $400000. Can someone please inform me of good neighborhoods, and public schools in the Wilmington and surrounding areas.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,700 times
I absolutely love Wilmington. There is something new, beautiful and exciting around every corner. The traffic is heavy, not horrible, and I'm getting used to it. At least when you sit in traffic it is a pretty view with no smog/smell. People are so friendly (vast majority of them) and there really is Southern Hospitality. Worst thing I saw here was when a lady deliberately rammed her shopping cart into a man's cart in Sam's Club and sent his cart flying. Then in her perfect NY accent she told him, "I told you to move it!" But you will find stark raving mad people like that everywhere and Wilmington is no exception. If people like that want to bring their nasty (lack of)manners down here to this genteel place and act like a jacka$$es we can't stop them. Just do me a favor and keep your nastyness to yourself.

As for us, we are soaking up the culture, rockers on the front porch, folks who wave when you walk/drive by whether they know you or not, clam bakes, crab cakes, sweet tea(addicted!!!) gorgeous beaches, sun almost everyday, and so much more I can't post it all here.

As I said, I'm from the North and it took me a few months to relax. People just don't start up conversations while shopping, etc. where I'm from. And it may set you on edge for a second. But just go with it. You will meet some very nice, interesting people. I've met people here that I will be friends with for life. When in Rome!.....

Oh, while I'm here. We only had one really horrible experience. DO NOT under any circumstances move into the Reserve at Mayfaire. It was a HORRIBLE place and I wish I had checked apartmentratings.com before I moved in. Right AFTER I moved in people were like, "Oh yeah...if I knew you were moving there we would have warned you". It's so bad, that the Reserve has resorted to posting on the site and acting like a happy former renter and giving themselves high marks.

Anyway, steer clear and enjoy Wilmington. It is WONDERFUL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina