Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:45 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,226,509 times

Advertisements

i'm planning for a few days vacation in eastern north carolina at the end of february. i will be based in the raleigh area. i've heard that wilmington is a historic place with waterfront and the beach. but it is a bit far compared to the triangle cities.

i'm wondering if late february would be a good time to enjoy wilmington. will it snow? does it rain a lot? would it be too windy on the beach? one february in raleigh, it snowed so much and was cold.

basically, i am considering two options: chapel hill vs. wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 03:24 AM

8,403 posts, read 4,402,020 times
Snow? Most likely not. Cold, windy, rainy? Very possible. But then again .... it could be 60° and sunny most any time during the winter.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,158,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
I'm wondering if late february would be a good time to enjoy wilmington. will it snow? does it rain a lot? would it be too windy on the beach? one february in raleigh, it snowed so much and was cold.

Wilmington will probably look inactive and dead in February compared to Chapel Hill . I think it would be better to delay the visit until March or April.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,402,313 times
The average high temperature in Wilmington in late February is 60 degrees, which means of course, it could be 30 or it could be 80. If you get lucky, and its 60 or more, the beach is great, as there will hardly be anyone there, and parking will be easy. Downtown Wilmington won't be as crowded as in the summer, but will still have lots of activity. Restaurants will be easier to get into.

Wilmington will almost certainly be warmer than CH. Also, Chapel Hill isn't really in eastern NC...its about 30 miles west of Raleigh. If you're spending time in Raleigh you could visit Chapel Hill as an easy day trip.

To me, Chapel Hill and Wilmington are 2 very different places to visit. I guess it really depends on what you want to do and experience. I've never thought of CH as a place to go on vacation.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:42 AM

150 posts, read 228,144 times
Chapel Hill could be 10 degrees or 70 as well. Feb and March have the most unpredictable weather.

Is it a good idea to plan for a vacation in NC in Feb? Not if your plans are weather dependent.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,886,313 times
You should not plan on going to the beach in February in Wilmington...so just leave that out of the equation. And that goes for most beach communities in the winter.

Golf is possible.

The Downtown is hopping on a Friday and Saturday night... I would go for that. Check Thalian Hall or one of the other theaters for what they have going on that weekend. You can take a horse drawn carriage ride through the Historic District.

Anywhere else in NC, you pretty much have to schedule something indoors unless you are going skiing.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
You should not plan on going to the beach in February in Wilmington...so just leave that out of the equation. And that goes for most beach communities in the winter.

Golf is possible.

The Downtown is hopping on a Friday and Saturday night... I would go for that. Check Thalian Hall or one of the other theaters for what they have going on that weekend. You can take a horse drawn carriage ride through the Historic District.

Anywhere else in NC, you pretty much have to schedule something indoors unless you are going skiing.
Why? Obviously you can't lay out or go swimming, but a warm winter day is a great time to walk the beach and enjoy it solitude. The beach is beautiful in winter.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:15 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,548,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
i'm planning for a few days vacation in eastern north carolina at the end of february. i will be based in the raleigh area. i've heard that wilmington is a historic place with waterfront and the beach. but it is a bit far compared to the triangle cities.

i'm wondering if late february would be a good time to enjoy wilmington. will it snow? does it rain a lot? would it be too windy on the beach? one february in raleigh, it snowed so much and was cold.

Don't want to rain on your plans but there is not much happening in Kure Beach, Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, or Wilmington in February and the weather could be iffy. I have seen it in the '40s raining and windy in Charleston in late February.

Far better to explore the RTP area rather than drive 2+ hours to see the ocean.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,886,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Why? Obviously you can't lay out or go swimming, but a warm winter day is a great time to walk the beach and enjoy it solitude. The beach is beautiful in winter.
In February, there may be a few nice days...but I wouldn't PLAN on it. The overwhelming majority of the time it is cold.

Better bet is to head downtown, go to a Bed and Breakfast...plenty of places to go.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
In February, there may be a few nice days...but I wouldn't PLAN on it. The overwhelming majority of the time it is cold.

Better bet is to head downtown, go to a Bed and Breakfast...plenty of places to go.
Actually, its not that unusual to have a nice day in late February. For example, in Feb. 2015, 8 of the last 15 days were 50 degrees or warmer; in 2014 11 of 15 were 50 or warmer. The average high that time of year is 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina