Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 07:38 PM

53 posts, read 89,763 times

Advertisements

Per suggestions on another thread....anyone on here that lives in the Southport area or Lake Waccamaw area? How are the schools and what do the teens do for fun in these areas? We had a chance to very briefly visit Southport, and it was honestly a really nice, and walkable town. We will be visiting there again in the near future, but wanted to see what there was to do for teenagers. I have not been to Lake Waccamaw, just seeing things online and suggestions for that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Per suggestions on another thread....anyone on here that lives in the Southport area or Lake Waccamaw area? How are the schools and what do the teens do for fun in these areas?
You could start with the Parks and Rec Dept of Brunswick County, offering softball, cheerleading, soccer: https://bcparks.recdesk.com/recdeskp...6/Default.aspx

Then check the clubs at South Brunswick High School. There are 3 pages of clubs at the link, including a game-playing group, a community service club and lots of interest groups: SBHS - South Brunswick High School

Then there is the beach and Intracoastal Waterway, where you daughter could learn to surf or sail a boat.

BTW, I have never heard of serious fighting in the schools of Brunswick County. There are enough transplants that being from out of state will not be a problem.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Lots of alligators at Lake Waccamaw. That's about all I remember about it. Used to have some family friends with a summer house there. I'd probably pick Southport.

http://www.wect.com/story/28982646/g...-lake-waccamaw

They've been known to eat pets.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:06 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
I live in Southport. Its a wonderful small town. In many ways, it feels bigger than it is because of the relatively large number of people that live nearby, in places like Boiling Spring Lakes, St. James, Oak Island, etc. Plus, its very busy with tourists in the summer. You need to think about how you feel about that.

South Brunswick High School is a good school. Teenagers here do the same things as teenagers everywhere...sports, school clubs, hang out with friends, work, enjoy the beach, hunt, fish, etc.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You could start with the Parks and Rec Dept of Brunswick County, offering softball, cheerleading, soccer: https://bcparks.recdesk.com/recdeskp...6/Default.aspx

Then check the clubs at South Brunswick High School. There are 3 pages of clubs at the link, including a game-playing group, a community service club and lots of interest groups: SBHS - South Brunswick High School

Then there is the beach and Intracoastal Waterway, where you daughter could learn to surf or sail a boat.

BTW, I have never heard of serious fighting in the schools of Brunswick County. There are enough transplants that being from out of state will not be a problem.

Thank you. Really, she is a very friendly likeable kid, she grew up fast and is sometimes more mature than some...especially boys. haha. The pros of Southport are it is a sweet town and there is always the beaches! She has her license, so she can go to different beaches. And if there are families with small children, she is a great babysitter. She does have like 4 families here that she babysits for. All of them love her, and the kids adore her.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I live in Southport. Its a wonderful small town. In many ways, it feels bigger than it is because of the relatively large number of people that live nearby, in places like Boiling Spring Lakes, St. James, Oak Island, etc. Plus, its very busy with tourists in the summer. You need to think about how you feel about that.

South Brunswick High School is a good school. Teenagers here do the same things as teenagers everywhere...sports, school clubs, hang out with friends, work, enjoy the beach, hunt, fish, etc.
I did talk to someone in Southport about the tourists seasons...and she said you just learn what times to not come out during the day. She lives there and has a store there.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:37 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Lake Waccamaw is somewhat isolated. Closest town would be Whiteville. As others stated, lots of alligators in and around the lake. Its kind of neat to go for a bike ride there but I don't think I would want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina