Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 02:45 PM
dch dch started this thread

17 posts, read 47,987 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to retire in a few years, I live in New Jersey and can no longer take the cold winters and icy conditions. However I find extreme heat unappealing as well as bugs in fla. North Carolina coast seems like a good option. From what I have seen on the Internet this looks like a good place to live and to retire. My concern is are the people there welcoming to people from out of state and is there a sense of community in this area? I have also noticed on the reality pages, that almost all the homes are on slabs in very close proximity to the water. Is there flooding issues in this area? I also like the fact that it's not too far from Virginia Beach for hospitals doctors Etc. My retirement needs would be very minimal as I'm just looking for a quiet place to live. Is this the right place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 03:10 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,390,928 times
Are you talking about the unincorporated town of Currituck, population 700? What attracted you to that?

In general, almost all of NC is welcoming to newcomers. A town of 700, with no newcomers to speak of, may be different.

Flooding is usually a very localized problem. You'll have to look at flood maps to determine an individual house's situation.

If your only criteria is quiet and near Va. Beach, I'm sure Currituck would work as well as any place. But I'd advise you visit before committing to anything.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:41 PM

324 posts, read 388,422 times
As a former year-round resident, I'd have to say it's still great but not for everyone. We lived there for 2 years and it suited me just fine, but my wife was not crazy about it. Unless things have changed, you may feel a bit lonely in the winter, but I loved having the beach all to myself.

The Currituck Food Lion stays open year round, which was great for us and really the only thing that was lacking when we first starting thinking about this move.

It's a bit far for emergency medical issues but it depends on where in the county you live, of course. It was about 15-20 miles to the nearest clinic for us and further to the real hospital. On the plus side, you seldom have to wait to be seen and the caliber of the medical staff was excellent.

walessp

Old 01-31-2016, 04:10 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
I have friends who live in Harbinger in Currituck County. They love it, but it is not for everyone. The other posters have noted the negatives. Please note the potential for flooding, and you should carry hurricane insurance.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:15 PM
dch dch started this thread

17 posts, read 47,987 times
Great info. I will visit within the year. I like what I see in Currituck, Maple and Grandy area. There seems to be a lot of new homes along the bay, intercoastal, which looks very nice. For us, slow and quiet, a home with some water views would be heaven, (while we're waiting). I believe crime is low as well as taxes. As much info as possible would be welcome.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 14,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
Great info. I will visit within the year. I like what I see in Currituck, Maple and Grandy area. There seems to be a lot of new homes along the bay, intercoastal, which looks very nice. For us, slow and quiet, a home with some water views would be heaven, (while we're waiting). I believe crime is low as well as taxes. As much info as possible would be welcome.

Currituck taxes are about 35% lower than Dare. Real estate prices are also lower and you can get more value for your dollar – out of the construction, that is.

The drawback is that you are kind of isolated, particularly in or near Grandy, which feels equally inconvenient to almost everything (except the local Food Lion). That might change when/if the new bridge is built. For us, it seemed a little too rural.

We really liked a house in Currituck proper, which is further up. It was close to the YMCA, but that was about it. We saw ourselves making too many trips up to Chesapeake for a social life. Excursions to the beach from there would have been weekend affairs. We wound up buying a smaller house in KDH (it isn't for everyone),

It’s true that you will spend most of your life in the house, but I would suggest making a few trips and deciding on the area that you like before looking too closely at real estate.

As for people - no problem there, wherever you wind up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina