Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 PM

52 posts, read 113,622 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes on the outskirts of Wilmington, one that seemed interesting is Rocky Point. We want about an acre so we will be looking in a more rural area probably about 30 miles off the coast. I'd really like to know how bad the biting bugs are in inland areas? And when I ask about biting bugs I'm mainly talking about noseeums. Evidently, I'm particularly attractive to them and highly allergic to their bites so wondering if they are as bad as they are in Florida? Inland Florida wasn't nearly as bad as the coast. I was eaten alive when visiting Pine Island and areas in Ft Myers and Naples. I love being outdoors and I don't want to end up living in a place where I can't even go outside. Any feedback from people who are bug bait like me would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,983,968 times
very subjective and personal. People live there so they get by? I don't recall lots of no seeums but a good number of mosquitos, deer flies, horse flies, ticks but of course this depends on where you are going you live....probably wont notice anything on blacktop or in a yard area

Old 02-16-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
very subjective and personal. People live there so they get by? I don't recall lots of no seeums but a good number of mosquitos, deer flies, horse flies, ticks but of course this depends on where you are going you live....probably wont notice anything on blacktop or in a yard area
Yes some people aren't bothered by them at all and some people are very affected like me. So yes it's a personal thing and I'm hoping for some feedback from people who have the same problem with them as I do. I know in Florida it's better inland and in some areas they spray for mosquitoes and evidently that helps control the noseeums as well. But I hate the thought of living somewhere that poison is being sprayed on a regular basis.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:33 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS3 View Post
But I hate the thought of living somewhere that poison is being sprayed on a regular basis.
Here's the story on Pender County's mosquito control efforts. Pender County, NC : Mosquito Control

You might contact the Public Works Department to see if they do anything about "noseeums". However, I can't recall hearing about them except on the beach.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Here's the story on Pender County's mosquito control efforts. Pender County, NC : Mosquito Control

You might contact the Public Works Department to see if they do anything about "noseeums". However, I can't recall hearing about them except on the beach.
Well that's good to hear, I can prepare for them at the beach, just would rather not have to fight them at home. I'll check out the Pender Co link. Are mosquitoes bad all spring, summer and fall?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Are mosquitoes bad all spring, summer and fall?
Well, where I live in Sneads Ferry, the mosquitoes are bad. We even had them in December. However, we live near water. If you find a piece of open land with no ponds or creeks in Rocky Point, the mosquitoes will not be as bad.

Another thing to watch out for are fire ants. The warmer winter has encouraged them.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Well, where I live in Sneads Ferry, the mosquitoes are bad. We even had them in December. However, we live near water. If you find a piece of open land with no ponds or creeks in Rocky Point, the mosquitoes will not be as bad.

Another thing to watch out for are fire ants. The warmer winter has encouraged them.

I was introduced to fire ants in Florida, not fun. We don't have them here in Nor California and we didn't have them in Kentucky. Nasty little critters.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,770,209 times
Quote:
We are looking at homes on the outskirts of Wilmington, one that seemed interesting is Rocky Point. We want about an acre so we will be looking in a more rural area probably about 30 miles off the coast. I'd really like to know how bad the biting bugs are in inland areas? And when I ask about biting bugs I'm mainly talking about noseeums. Evidently, I'm particularly attractive to them and highly allergic to their bites so wondering if they are as bad as they are in Florida? Inland Florida wasn't nearly as bad as the coast. I was eaten alive when visiting Pine Island and areas in Ft Myers and Naples. I love being outdoors and I don't want to end up living in a place where I can't even go outside. Any feedback from people who are bug bait like me would be appreciated.
it will vary widely depending on your immediate surroundings. it's not necessarily a characteristic of the entire wilmington area.

personally, i lived on wrightsville beach and all over wilmington, and never had a problem with bugs. But I'm willing to bet there are plenty of areas that will have problems with them, especially along any of the tidal creeks, or inland swamps.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:14 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,618,031 times
I feel like it depends on the person. When I lived in Wilmington I was eaten alive by mosquitos nearly all the time except the dead of winter - mosquitos always go after me. I was a renter in a rental house and didn't spray. Maybe a treatment would help. But it kept me from using my yard as I'd hoped to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina