Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 10,865 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the wilmington area in the near future and we will be building a house on some property
we purchased a number of years ago.
We would like to know the costs per foot to build this home in this area.
We own a double lot and are also considering building two homes next to each other and we were wondering is this a cost incentive to the builder and a saving to us if we build both homes at the same time..
Any input on this thread would be appreciated ...thank you ..
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welderpat View Post
My family is moving to the wilmington area in the near future and we will be building a house on some property we purchased a number of years ago.
We own a double lot and are also considering building two homes next to each other and we were wondering is this a cost incentive to the builder and a saving to us if we build both homes at the same time..
Do you have to put in water, sewer/septic and electricity? If yes, get estimates on that.

If not, I have seen ball-park figures of $100-$125 per square foot to build an ordinary house with no special customization.

I am sure most builders would be happy to build two houses at the same location, but I would not expect a huge discount.

Locally, Logan Homes does "build on your lot" homes, however, I have no experience with them: Build On Your Own Lot | Wilmington NC Home Builders | Logan Homes

Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
I would ask a builder, or several. Material cost can fluctuate. Builders that have been in the business a few years have a pretty good handle on their cost per square foot. Interior finish makes a big difference. Are you expecting linoleum or marble floors? Then they have a markup, it is a business, they are in it to make money. Their target profit margin may be 18% or 30%. Building two homes at once, side by side, I think would save everyone a little bit. Builders hire out all the separate jobs, foundation, framing, electric, HVAC etc. If the sub contractors offer a price break to the builder, maybe the builder will pass it on to you. Then again, many builders build house after house in the same neighbor hood and the benefit you think you have by building two adjacent homes may be no big deal to the builder that is used to building adjacent homes all the time. How "hungry" is the builder? Does he have contracts backed up for the next 6 months or is he actively looking for new contracts. If he is "hungry", he may cut you some slack in price or offer upgrades just to get the job. So ... back to the beginning .. I would ask builders. Have a floor plan(s), know what you want, and get estimates on the exact same home with the exact same level of finish from different builders. Then you will know who is willing to give you the best price.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:46 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Do you have to put in water, sewer/septic and electricity? If yes, get estimates on that.

If not, I have seen ball-park figures of $100-$125 per square foot to build an ordinary house with no special customization.

I am sure most builders would be happy to build two houses at the same location, but I would not expect a huge discount.

Locally, Logan Homes does "build on your lot" homes, however, I have no experience with them: Build On Your Own Lot | Wilmington NC Home Builders | Logan Homes
Many builders I have talked to regarding building our own home in about three years are quoting anywhere between $150 - $225 sq. foot for Brunswick County.I know for a fact, getting water/sewer/septic/electric just cost my friend for her lot in an existing community somewhere on the ball park figure of $3000-$4000

Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welderpat View Post
My family is moving to the wilmington area in the near future and we will be building a house on some property
we purchased a number of years ago.
Any input on this thread would be appreciated ...thank you ..
Pat
As others have said, your cost per sq/ft will largely depend on the house design and finishes.
If you are considering building 2 homes, economy of scale might persuade you to build them at the same time. The operational efficiency of building 2 homes adacent to one another simultaneously might be attractive to a local builder and get you a better per sq/ft price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina