Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 7,054 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Arizona and am thinking about moving to the Wilmington area. I currently have a house watch company here which has been successful for nine years. I am curious if it would be a service that vacation homeowners would have a need for? Any feedback would be appreciated..TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:46 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl Too View Post
I currently live in Arizona and am thinking about moving to the Wilmington area. I currently have a house watch company here which has been successful for nine years. I am curious if it would be a service that vacation homeowners would have a need for? Any feedback would be appreciated..TIA
It would possibly be useful here. However, it would be most useful if you had a network of handy-men, plumbers, and so on. They would be needed to do the winterizing and hurricane-proofing that is needed on the coast. I suspect there is a lot more work needed to maintain a vacation house on a hurricane-prone coast than in Arizona.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 AM

261 posts, read 380,911 times
Another issue is that a vast majority of second homes are listed with a real estate company who handles rentals, maintenance, cleaning, off season check-ins, etc. as part of a package deal.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback..my customer would either be a snowbird that prefers not to rent out or VRBO. In other words capable and willing to "batten down the hatches" themselves or we would offer this service if it's not too complicated. Wanting someone to ease their minds that the house is secure by checking on it a couple times a month. I would tend to believe investors or time-share holders most likely use the package deal through Realtor's.

LOL..goldenage1 it is exactly the opposite here..we have to "summerize" and batten down for the monsoon season.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
When I lived on Oak Island, a friend of mine had a very good, "second" job, changing AC system filters on rental homes. I think he worked for both individuals and rental companies. Somebody has to do it.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:43 AM

261 posts, read 380,911 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback..my customer would either be a snowbird that prefers not to rent out or VRBO. In other words capable and willing to "batten down the hatches" themselves or we would offer this service if it's not too complicated. Wanting someone to ease their minds that the house is secure by checking on it a couple times a month. I would tend to believe investors or time-share holders most likely use the package deal through Realtor's.

LOL..goldenage1 it is exactly the opposite here..we have to "summerize" and batten down for the monsoon season.
I'm just not sure there are many houses in that category. Beachfront property is expensive. Not many people can afford to have it sit empty for a major portion of the year.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
I'm just not sure there are many houses in that category. Beachfront property is expensive. Not many people can afford to have it sit empty for a major portion of the year.
Considering that, would you say there are part-time residents further inland? Just trying to get a rough estimate of part-time residents to full-time. My town empties out starting April to October by aprox 1/3.
Many northerners and Canadians.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Considering that, would you say there are part-time residents further inland? Just trying to get a rough estimate of part-time residents to full-time. My town empties out starting April to October by aprox 1/3.
Many northerners and Canadians.
I am speaking of North Topsail Beach, where there might be 1% part-time residents. The weather is just not that bad here year-round. When people come to live, they stay full-time. Property owners who rent out there places often live in Raleigh or Charlotte, just a few hours away.

Even in a wealthy community like St. James in Southport, there might be 5% part-time residents. BTW, I have been around Mesa in the winter and understand the snowbird phenomenon. It is not like that on the North Carolina coast: our winters are chilly enough we are not a destination for snowbirds. Our tourist season is in the summer, and the visitors aer mostly families from North Carolina or further north.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-25-2016 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina