Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations what to buy to prevent deer from eating all my landscaping bushes?? Never realized how much deer roam in Ocean Ridge Plantation at night.

Thanks

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
.30-06

Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Back when we lived near Charlotte, we were at Lowes, and my daughters got all excited about Hibiscus plants. Being the good dad, I bought six on a Saturday afternoon.

Went home dug them in around the house, mulched, watered, the whole deal, and finished about dusk.

Went out Sunday morning on the way to church to admire our plants ........ and there was nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Except a bunch of hoof prints.

Doh!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:52 AM

Not sure the neighbors would go for this option... Golf buddies gave me the same recommendation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
.30-06

Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM

We always had fenced in yards........

Us former city peeps aren't used to critters like deer.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Back when we lived near Charlotte, we were at Lowes, and my daughters got all excited about Hibiscus plants. Being the good dad, I bought six on a Saturday afternoon.

Went home dug them in around the house, mulched, watered, the whole deal, and finished about dusk.

Went out Sunday morning on the way to church to admire our plants ........ and there was nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Except a bunch of hoof prints.

Doh!

Old 03-05-2016, 12:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
You might try a product called Plantskydd .

Its expensive, about $45 for a kilo. Its made from animal blood. I would use the pellets, they are easy to spread. It also comes in a fine powder to mix for sprayers but its hard to mix, and looks like you are spraying blood. Pellets are much easier to work with.

Concept is the smell of blood makes deer think there are predators near by so they stay away. The smell it not that bad and it dissipates pretty quickly. I sprinkled it around the yard border and it seemed to be pretty effective for a few weeks. Then reapply if needed. I guess the value of your landscaping will determine if it is worth the cost. I haven't found much of anything else that will actually work short of only using plants deer don't like much.

Good luck

Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Thank you....

I'll give it a try...

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
You might try a product called Plantskydd .

Its expensive, about $45 for a kilo. Its made from animal blood. I would use the pellets, they are easy to spread. It also comes in a fine powder to mix for sprayers but its hard to mix, and looks like you are spraying blood. Pellets are much easier to work with.

Concept is the smell of blood makes deer think there are predators near by so they stay away. The smell it not that bad and it dissipates pretty quickly. I sprinkled it around the yard border and it seemed to be pretty effective for a few weeks. Then reapply if needed. I guess the value of your landscaping will determine if it is worth the cost. I haven't found much of anything else that will actually work short of only using plants deer don't like much.

Good luck

Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Good post Coastal Planner!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
biscman, we have quite a few herds here, they easily jump over our 5' fence and help themselves to many varieties of hosta, hibiscus and coral bells.
Finally found a product called Deer B Gone by ortho. Spray the plants once a month and after heavy rain, it has been very successful, HD carries it, it smells like cloves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina