Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 26,637 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are in the early stages of planning a move to the Wilmington, NC area with 4 small children; ages 9, 7, 5 -and almost 2. We are looking for a suburban community with good schools (can be private or charter,) area with popular with families and small children, with things to do for families. I am starting out with little information so anything you can offer is helpful. Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 04:34 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastnomore? View Post
We are in the early stages of planning a move to the Wilmington, NC area with 4 small children.....
It might depend on where the wage-earner needs to commute to. Ogden is convenient to the north side of town and the Airport. Myrtle Grove (AKA Monkey Junction) is convenient to the south side of town.

Hampstead has good schools, but it is further away from the conveniences of Wilmington.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 PM

I have heard of Hampstead, what about Leland? Topsail? Or some have suggested Wilmington proper. Being from MA it's hard to picture the size of Wilmington, I want "small town" feel but not far away from things to do.
What about school districts? Any great ones? Any private school suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I have heard of Hampstead, what about Leland? Topsail? Or some have suggested Wilmington proper. Being from MA it's hard to picture the size of Wilmington, I want "small town" feel but not far away from things to do.
What about school districts? Any great ones? Any private school suggestions?................
Topsail and Hampstead are the same school district. It has excellent ratings. They are suburban in nature but not really towns in the sense of the northeast.

Leland is really a retirement area, and the schools are average. Southport has the small-town feel of a New England town, but the schools are very average.

Wilmington is 110,000 people, but it has a downtown core surrounded by suburban areas. Thus, it is not a big city, and 90% of it is family friendly. There are good schools in Wilmington, so it really is not worth travelling far to be in a better school district.

Re: private schools, I am not very familiar with them. But I have heard that some of the better ones are Cape Fear Academy and St Mary Catholic. I would also suggest investigating The Friends School of Wilmington.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,396,782 times
Leland is not purely a retirement area. Lots of families there.

What is your budget for a house? Wilmington has some good schools (and some very bad ones). The good ones are generally in higher cost areas.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:30 PM

I think we would like to rent for a year so we can make sure we like the area, budget would be $1200-1700 a month. If we stayed in Wilmington what are the better areas? I love the idea of a gated community or subdivision with pool and amenities, we don't have that in MA. Any suggestions there?

Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I think we would like to rent for a year so we can make sure we like the area, budget would be $1200-1700 a month. If we stayed in Wilmington what are the better areas? I love the idea of a gated community or subdivision with pool and amenities, we don't have that in MA. Any suggestions there?
With that budget, you can find a place in a typical area like Myrtle Grove or Ogden. Murraysville, Pine Valley, College Heights and Carriage Hills are also good possibilities. I suggest using Realtor.com to find rentals because it has the nearest schools and their ratings. From the currently available listings, Murraysville would give you the best schools.

You might find a community with a pool for your budget. However, to get into a gated community like Landfall, you would have to pay a lot more.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-10-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 06:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,396,782 times
Quote:

In Wilmington, look at the area south of Oleander Drive and East of S. College Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina