Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 AM

192 posts, read 256,791 times

Advertisements

My apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered. I have been unable to find any input by searching the forum.

Like many Yankees, we are considering retirement in coastal NC. Presently we tend to be focusing on Brunswick County. Shallotte sounds very positive from the comments I have read on the forum, housing reasonably priced and good availability of stores, shops, etc. One aspect is sending up red flags, however, and that is what seems to be an inordinately high crime rate. I just can't figure out why there is such a high incidence of crime in small town Shallotte. The population figures indicate it isn't a matter of city overcrowding and, from what I can see, it isn't adjacent to any ghetto areas.

I must be missing something. I'd be very interested in your input on why the crime numbers are so out of balance.

Here are links to the sources of my information:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
https://www.city-data.com/city/Shallo...-Carolina.html

Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NJ View Post
.......I just can't figure out why there is such a high incidence of crime in small town Shallotte. The population figures indicate it isn't a matter of city overcrowding and, from what I can see, it isn't adjacent to any ghetto areas.

I must be missing something. I'd be very interested in your input on why the crime numbers are so out of balance.................
https://www.city-data.com/city/Shallo...-Carolina.html
There are huge numbers in the burglary and theft categories in the City-Data profile. The usual explanation is the number of empty vacation homes whch get broken into off season, and also theft from construction sites.

Please note that there were no murders and very few other violent crimes. You would be fine in that respect. Note also that C-D is counting only the city limits of Shallotte. If you live in one of the plantations, you would be outside the city limits.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 AM

192 posts, read 256,791 times
Thanks again, Goldenage1.

You sure have helped with quite a few of my numerous puzzlements!

Old 04-29-2016, 06:56 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
You could also check the BrunswickBeacon (online news) for recent town police reports. There was a bicycle theft and a phone scam, for example: Shallotte Police Department reports | BrunswickBeacon.com

You could compare Neighborhood Scout reports also, but they don't reveal whether they get their data.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Poverty. That's why there's usually crime. Eastern NC is poor. That's why you want to come down — for the low cost of living. Outside of retirees there's not a lot of industry in Shallotte.

Quote:
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,363 (it was $21,168 in 2000)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Shallo...#ixzz47DmoC9Tq

Old 04-29-2016, 10:05 AM

398 posts, read 498,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Poverty. That's why there's usually crime. Eastern NC is poor. That's why you want to come down — for the low cost of living. Outside of retirees there's not a lot of industry in Shallotte.
Brunswick County isn't that poverty stricken...it ranks 20th (out of 100 counties) in median household income. And Shallotte's median household income is higher than the county's, virtually equal to the state average.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,471 times
As a fellow transplanted New Jersyan you have no worries moving down here. Like night and day compared to crime in the Garden State. Start packing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina