Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

Are private golf carts allowed on the streets inside St Jame's Plantation? If not, are there any coastal golf communities in the Wilmington area (other than Compass Pointe) that allow them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsmom View Post
Are private golf carts allowed on the streets inside St Jame's Plantation? If not, are there any coastal golf communities in the Wilmington area (other than Compass Pointe) that allow them?
I can't speak for St James, but I believe golf carts are allowed in Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest, or at least not prohibited. In the state, the general rule is that golf carts must be "street legal" ones to be operated on public roads. That includes a windshield, horn and other safety features more like cars. Here's a legal commentary: https://carolinacommonelements.com/2...rusin-legal-2/

Some plantations have "private roads" (not open to the public), and the legal opinion says this: "Private communities that own and maintain their own roads wherein the roads are not open to the use of the public would presumably be an exception. Operation of golf carts on these ‘private’ streets would presumably be controlled by the owner of the street or any many cases by an HOA charged with governing the use of the ‘private’ streets."

My take on it is that since SJP and Compass Pointe are gated, their roads are "private", and they may allow ordinary golf carts. The others, like BP and MG are not gated, so they fall under the requirement for street-legal golf carts, and they *may* allow them. If I am wrong, someone please comment.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-07-2016 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,325 times
Thank you so much for your response and info. I was able to find a pdf of sjp rules and regulations and saw that they are not allowed there. We are looking to buy something now to use as a vacation home with the intent to retire there in the future. I have family in rivers edge and Wilmington so compass pointe would be a great location. However, we would love to have a marina-- hence sjp. Need to make the trip to visit some of the communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina