Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 AM

6 posts, read 6,661 times

Advertisements

Hello I am currently living in Brunswick, MD (DC metro) and I am done with the area. I need a change and have been looking at possible areas. I am currently saving up for a possible move. I came across Wilmington and not sure what's going on there. I'm 22, single, labor worker and an outdoorsy person. So I feel like being by the water would be right for me. I do have some questions.

How expensive is Wilmington compared to the DC metro area?

What's the employment like? My experience is Geotechnical Drilling idk if there any drilling companies in the area or not.

What is the nightlife like? I no issues with family friendly stuff like museums, etc. but would like to go out for drinks on the weekends.

That's all I can think of right now but if there's anything else you can tell me would be appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate94 View Post
How expensive is Wilmington compared to the DC metro area?

What's the employment like? My experience is Geotechnical Drilling idk if there any drilling companies in the area or not.

What is the nightlife like? I no issues with family friendly stuff like museums, etc. but would like to go out for drinks on the weekends.
Less expensive for housing, car-insurance, etc. More expensive for real-estate on the ocean. You can compare your current city to Wilmington using a cost-of-living calculator like Sperling's Best Places.

I had to use Google to find out what Geo-technical Drilling was. It comes up with Mid-Atlantic Drilling. You would have to research them for job openings. Otherwise, many of the available jobs are in hospitality, like bar-tending. The pay is probably lower than in Brunswick.

There is good nightlife in the water-front area. If you can locate a suitable job, you would probably enjoy life here. (Summer weather is hot, humid, and buggy.)

Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 6,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Less expensive for housing, car-insurance, etc. More expensive for real-estate on the ocean. You can compare your current city to Wilmington using a cost-of-living calculator like Sperling's Best Places.

I had to use Google to find out what Geo-technical Drilling was. It comes up with Mid-Atlantic Drilling. You would have to research them for job openings. Otherwise, many of the available jobs are in hospitality, like bar-tending. The pay is probably lower than in Brunswick.

There is good nightlife in the water-front area. If you can locate a suitable job, you would probably enjoy life here. (Summer weather is hot, humid, and buggy.)
I think the only issue is the jobs but thank you for the reply! Much appreciated, How is the weather in the winter? I am trying to get away from the snowy cold weather in the Mid-Atlantic lol

Last edited by Nate94; 06-06-2016 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Forgot something to add

Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 PM

379 posts, read 580,007 times
Have a guy in my marina who worked up that way. Construction. Got a 32" Hunter for $5k and lives downtown for less than apartment rental. You can make a dollar go much further here. Great vibe for younger people, especially with the colleges and beaches.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate94 View Post
How is the weather in the winter? I am trying to get away from the snowy cold weather in the Mid-Atlantic lol
Wilmington has occasional snow in the winter, ususally less than an inch. The temperature drops into the teens during January. By late February it starts to feel like spring, so it it tolerable. I rarely wear a winter coat.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:31 PM

77 posts, read 247,051 times
Wilmington is a lovely city. However, job opportunities are few and drugs and crime is high except outside the city. Almost daily shootings and robberies. The minorities have pretty much taken over. I would advise against living near this city, especially if you might be planning to have a family later on.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
The minorities have pretty much taken over. I would advise against living near this city, especially if you might be planning to have a family later on.
That is totally inaccurate. Check the statistics on the city-data profile below. There's an interactive map where you can see the income levels and ethnic composition of any census district. Wilmington as a whole is 71.4% white, 19.5% black, and 5.2% Hispanic. There are limited areas where most shootings occur. If the OP wants to live near Wrightsville Beach, he will be fine.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Wilmin...-Carolina.html

Old 06-08-2016, 06:25 AM

77 posts, read 247,051 times
By "taking over", I simply meant crime-wise. It is unsafe downtown. However, since most of the subsidized housing is near downtown (and plenty of it), there is a heavy concentration of minorities in that area.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
By "taking over", I simply meant crime-wise. It is unsafe downtown. However, since most of the subsidized housing is near downtown (and plenty of it), there is a heavy concentration of minorities in that area.
But downtown or "The Projects" is a small percent of the whole city limits of Wilmington. The low-income areas are clearly visible in the interactive census maps. Nobody has to be afraid of living in Pine Valley or Ogden or near Wrightsville.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Wilmington is a lovely city. However, job opportunities are few and drugs and crime is high except outside the city. Almost daily shootings and robberies. The minorities have pretty much taken over. I would advise against living near this city, especially if you might be planning to have a family later on.
Another one of those out of context comments...what he means is that in a certain block area that is primarily minorities there is crime.

Wilmington stretches from the Cape Fear River to the Intracoastal Waterway, Market St to the North, Myrtle Grove to the South....that neighborhood referred to MAY BE 5% of the land area of Wilmington.

And the Riverfront Downtown is plenty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina